Earth Hour, a global call to action to every individual, business, and community, will take place on Saturday, March 27th at 8.30pm. People all over the world will turn off their lights and join together in celebration and contemplation of our planet.
Earth Hour is organized by WWF, one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. Its mission is to stop the degradation of the Earth's natural environment and build a future in which people will be able to live in harmony with nature. This call to stand up, take responsibility, get involved, and lead the way towards a sustainable future is a hard one to ignore.
For those who prefer to sit, Earth Hour is a great excuse to host a candlelight dinner party. A perfect table setting would include natural products. Colourful cotton, hemp, wood, ceramic, and bamboo products make ideal place settings. Short aromatic flowers, carefully placed around a centerpiece made of pure beeswax or non GMO soy candles, are a friendly touch. Guests will be delighted with quick and easy cold foods and may even offer to bring delicious goodies. Beef may not be the most environmentally friendly choice.
· Vichyssoise (potato, leek, onion, cream or any vegetable soup).
· Salads (three bean, tomato, tuna, egg, potato, quinoa, rice, beet, lentil, chickpea, greens, cucumber with yogurt). Sprinkle a few herbs, spices, and nuts to add flavour (parsley, turmeric, cumin, basil, ginger, chives, walnuts, sesame seeds, almonds, pistachios).
· Whole grain breads and crackers.
· Various “dips” (hummus, guacamole, tzatziki, salsa, cream cheese, onion).
· Fish, poultry, meat substitutes (lobster, crab, turkey, salmon, tofu/soy, or any favourites).
· Wine, beer, water, juice, tea, or any preferred liquids can be served throughout the evening.
Serving delicious after dinner sweet treats (fruit, dates, nuts, yogurt, raspberry or chocolate mousse, chocolate covered strawberries) while playing a game of scrabble or pictionary, singing a few songs around the piano (or guitar), or engaging in good conversation with friends and family is all that is needed to lighten up the evening.
Did you enjoy reading “A one hour great excuse"? To be notified of newly published articles, simply click on the above Subscribe button.