In 1832 the Kentucky General Assembly chartered a bank for the city of Louisville as part of Southern National Bank.. The structure was designed by James H. Dakin and the construction was supervised by Gideon Shrylock. It was completed in 1837.
The brick and limestone structure has many Greek revival elements that was popular at the time, and the distyle-in-antics doorway is of note. It is considered one of the most sophisticated designed small scale commercial structures in the United States. Today the building serves as the lobby for the Actors Theatre of Louisville. It was made a National Historic Landmark in 1971.