The Oklahoma Aquarium is located in Jenks, which is a suburb of Tulsa. It is about a 4 hour drive from Kansas City, Mo. The majority of your drive you will be on Missouri Highway 71 South also called Interstate 49. The aquarium is a fun filled adventure for the whole family.
The aquarium sits on 66 acres along the Arkansas River. It is a non-profit education and research facility. Their mission statement is “Conservation through Education”.
It was founded by Dr. P.R. Ramey and Doug Kemper and opened in 2003. It serves about half a million visitors each year.
1. Amazing Invertebrates is filled with sea life like sponges, sea stars, urchins, etc. Many people think that these are plants but in fact they are animals.
2. Extreme Fishes is filled with fish that have unusual characteristics like breathing air. Part of this exhibit is the Extreme Amazon and features fish from the Amazon. You can get up close and personal with these exotic fish.
3. Aquatic Oklahoma exhibit lets you look at all the aquatic animals that are native to Oklahoma. There is even a snapping turtle that is 120 years old!
4. Hays Family Ozark Stream has both aquatic life and mammals like raccoons and river otters. This exhibit features wildlife and aquatic life from the northeastern part of Oklahoma.
5. Ecozone features a variety of different water habitats and their aquatic life such as marshes or rocky coasts. There is also a touch tank with stingrays.
6. Coral Reef allows you to see the many different types of vibrant aquatic life that inhabits coral reefs. You are sure to be in awe of all the beautiful colors.
7. Ray and Robin Seigfried Families Shark Adventure has one of the best shark collections not only in the United States but in the world. There is a walk through tunnel and a dome that allow you to see the sharks up close.
8. Marvel and Mysteries exhibit shows you some of the truly mysterious marine animals like jelly fish, sea horse, octopuses, etc. You are sure to be truly amazed at what this exhibit has to offer.
The Oklahoma Aquarium is open every day but Christmas from 10:00am-6:00pm. Except for on Tuesdays they are open until 9:00pm.
• Adults $13.95
• Seniors and Military $11.95
• Children (3-12) $9.95
• Children 2 and under are free
You can also purchase tickets on line by visiting their website, listed below.
The Oklahoma Aquarium is located at 300 Aquarium Dr. Jenks, OK 74037.