Email campaigns can be hard. Fortunately, there is a wealth of email marketing campaign companies who either let you create your own campaign, such as MailChimp and Constant Contact, or companies that create them for you that can help you understand the nuts and bolts of email campaigns. Either way getting your information out to your email contact list has never been easier. You can drop and drag your content, upload it from your computer, or just use one of the various templates email marketing companies have, the choice is yours. The great thing about email marketing campaigns is that you get to send out a mass email without the hassle of doing it yourself. You only need to make sure your contact list is up to date.
If you are not sure how to put together an email campaign then check out these great tips:
- Establish a pattern. In order for anything to work you have to first be consistent. A business owner without consistency is a horrible trait to possess, yet many business owners fail to establish consistent communications with their email list. You need to pick a date and time that works best for your schedule. Most email campaign programs have a scheduler so you don’t have to worry about sending it when you finish it. Use it! You should even take the time to create a majority of your campaigns so you don’t forget later.
- Show appreciation to your customers first. Your email list is important; therefore you need to know who your important clients are and what they like. With that being said, when you create your email campaign separate your list from old clients to new/potential clients. The reason for the separate lists is to ensure your current and valued clients are getting dibs on new services or products and any applicable discounts. When your customers feel valued they will appreciate your business more.
- Proofread, edit and review. Yes these things all sound the same but they have different functions and you need to do all of them before you send your newsletter out to your email list. You have to make sure it sounds right, looks right and has the right feel so people will open it.
- Use the right title to catch their attention. If your newsletter’s title is bland, then the likelihood of it being opened is slim to none. Boring doesn't sell. Period. But you don’t want to over exaggerate and lose the sale either. Therefore it’s important to find the right words to catch the attention of the recipient. As stated earlier, separating your lists will help you create more dynamic titles that appeal to the recipient.
- Check the metrics and then clean it up. Most email campaign companies have some kind of built in metric system to show you how many people opened your email, deleted it, flagged it as spam and even how many email addresses were invalid. You need to check those metrics often so you are not wasting your time on nonexistent emails or uninterested clients.
Email campaigns are necessary to the growth of your business. Just like social media email campaigns are also a tool. So use it wisely.