Skip to main content
  1. Travel
  2. Local Getaways

The numbers add up at Walt Disney World: Christmas edition

See also

Every year Disney Imagineers and other Cast Members work hard to transform the Happiest Place on Earth into a magical, winter wonderland. Through the addition of lights, Christmas trees, wreaths and everything holly, the parks and resorts become a place families travel to enjoy the Holiday season.

So, how much work actually goes into this annual Disney transformation? And exactly how many lights get strung every year? Let’s take a look at the different numbers that add up to a magical Christmas season.

All over Disney World

  • It takes 150 semi-trailer truckloads of decorations to complete the transformation for 24 resorts, 4 theme parks, Downtown Disney and other locations.
  • There are 1,300 decorated trees throughout the Disney World Resorts and Parks.
  • 15 miles of garland and 1,314 wreaths are hung throughout Disney World.
  • 300,000 yards of ribbon and bows top off Christmas trees all across property.
  • 8.5 million lights are hung throughout the parks and resorts.
  • 98 percent of lights used at Disney during the holidays are LED, the remaining 2 percent is compact florescent.

Parks

  • There is a Christmas tree at the Magic Kingdom with a base that is 26 feet wide.
  • 170 performers and 15 floats are part of Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at the Magic Kingdom.
  • 11 countries participate in Holidays Around the World at Epcot’s World Showcase.
  • More than 800 performers participate in the Candlelight Processional each night at Epcot.
  • More than 200 guest choirs participate in the Candlelight Processional.
  • 10 miles of twinkling lights are used in the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Resorts

  • A 70 foot tall tree covered with nearly 35,800 LED white lights stands at the entrance of Disney’s Contemporary Resort.
  • Pastry chef’s throughout Disney World created 6 life-sized creations, including a 16-foot tall gingerbread house at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa that was baked with 1,050 pounds of honey and enlisting more than 160 hours of decorating time and a life-size gingerbread carousel at Disney’s Beach Club Resort made with chocolate, fondant, giant candy cane poles and hand-painted portraits of Disney characters.

Downtown Disney

  • The wreath at Cirque du Soleil in Downtown Disney - West Side is 25 feet in diameter.
  • Disney’s Days of Christmas is open 165 days a year.

Happy Holidays!!

To keep up on the latest Disney and other travel ideas, tips, reviews and news “like” my Facebook page - WDW Travel Examiner - or follow me on twitter @WDWTravelExam. You can also “Subscribe” to my Examiner.com page by clicking the button near the top of the page.

Advertisement

Today's top buzz...

  • Amazon Prime
    Amazon Prime: Share the gift of expedited shipping with up to four freeloaders
    Video
    Tech Tips
  • Celebrity couples
    Take a look at the most powerful celebrity couples in Hollywood
    Camera
    20 Photos
  • Deviled eggs
    This is the only deviled egg recipe you’ll need this Easter
    Delicious Eggs
  • Famous celebrity redheads
    These famous faces turn heads with their perfectly styled red manes
    Camera
    27 Photos
  • Short obituary
    A Swedish man decided to create his own obituary and now it's gone viral. See why
    Video
    Top News
  • Watch a new sport: Twenty reasons for you to start watching rugby
    Camera
    20 Photos

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!