Candles are lovely to burn in the evenings. The little glow and flicker of the flame, the aromatic fragrances stimulate the senses; combined bring feelings of warmth, calmness and romance into the air.
No wonder so many people enjoy burning candles in their homes.
Many times people forget where they placed a lit candle, they burn one too long or let it burn down all the way. This can be dangerous and are some ways that house fires are caused by candles.
Over 9,000 fires occur yearly from candles. It is estimated that nearly 3,000 of those occur in bedrooms. On average the fire department is called to homes every 30 minutes due to fires started by candles.
Tips to remember to prevent candle causing house fires:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never place candles close to walls, drapes, curtains or bedding.
- Set specific places to burn candles instead of all over the house. This way you’ll always remember where the lit candles were placed so they can be extinguished before you leave that room for the evening.
- Using a candle snuffer is best to ensure the flame is put out properly. If you don’t have one, don’t leave the candle right after the flame is blown out. Wait till the red embers on the wick completely go out before walking away from them.
- If the jar candle has a lid, don’t use it to snuff out the candle. Never place the lid on just blown out candles. The melted wax of the candle needs air to set again nicely and the sealed jar won’t build up pressure from the hot wax cracking the jar and leaving a mess all over the counter or tables it was sitting on.
- Place candlesticks and candle jars in the sink before retiring for the evening as an added safety measure.
- Keep candles out of the reach of small children.
Stay safe and enjoy your candles and a fire-free home!
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another news or health story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Healthy Living Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: