The structure was originally built in 1802 by William King. The facility was to accommodate his developing boatyard for his salt production business. Later on, the structure was sold to Richard Netherland. Netherland established the 3-story building as an inn and tavern. It was a stop on the Great Old Stage Road connecting Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
The decision to set up a tavern was a brilliant one. Netherland soon became a popular stop on the road. It was even visited by a number of Presidents: Andrew Jackson, James Polk and Andrew Johnson.
The Netherland Inn remained in the Netherland family until 1906. It operated as an inn for 150 years. It continued to be privately owned until 1968, when it became a museum. Most of the original furniture was destroyed or lost during the Civil War, but the facility has been refurnished to represent life in an American frontier settlement.
The complex today consists of the house museum, a well house, flatboat facility, the garden, a log cabin, a children's museum and the museum shop.
Another aspect of the Netherland Inn that receives little attention is the resident ghost. A spirit named "Old Andy" is reported to haunt the facility and he becomes most active at night.
For further information: