August is National Sandwich Month, so why not celebrate the last week of August with a delicious burger. While there are some well respected burger joints in town, like Au Cheval and DMK, why not head off the beaten path with a burger from these lesser known spots.
- Mercat a la Planxa – At this tapas-focused restaurant, Chef Cory Morris doesn’t skimp on size for their house-made burger. Served only during lunch, the Mercat Burger is a Catalan variation on the summer staple featuring a black angus patty, la peral, padron peppers, and red wine onion jam.
- Acadia – While Acadia is a fine dining spot, however Chef Ryan McCaskey has won awards for his double-decker Acadia Burger made housemade bacon, McCaskey’s ‘special sauce,’ pickles, gruyere cheese, and smoked cheddar mornay cheese.
- Travelle – Tim Graham’s Sirloin Burger is an alternative gem on the Mediterranean-focused restaurant menu. Graham keeps your focus on the perfect, prime beef patty with minimal toppings of mahon, dried tomato, and pepper aioli.
- Davanti Enoteca – This Italian wine bar has a standout burger for your Chianti, the Davanti Burger, made with a special beef blend, bacon jam, roasted tomatoes, cheese curds, arugula, and roasted garlic mayo.
- Filini Bar & Restaurant – This fine dinging spot in the Radisson Blu Aqua hotel combines signature Italian influence with an American favorite in their Cheese Burger, made of a black angus beef burger topped with mozzarella, mushrooms, and tomato on a pretzel roll.
- Mindy's Hot Chocolate - This Wicker Park spot is home to some hip eats and delicious chocolate concoctions, along with their hearty burger, made with house-ground Slagel Farms beef, organic bacon and Carr Valley 4-year-aged cheddar, house-made pickle on a garlic-toasted sesame bun served with chips.
- Mana Food Bar - For the non-carnivorous burger addict, try the sliders at Mana, made with brown rice and mushroom and topped with spicy mayo. This is a Chicago vegetarian all around favorite.
Hopefully these underrated burgers will inspire your celebration of National Sandwich Month in Chicago, and take you right through to fall.