Skip to main content
  1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Sports
  3. Soccer

The Missouri Comets defeat the Wave in game one

See also

The Missouri Comets entered the Semi-Final Series against the Milwaukee Wave on Sunday March 9, having finished the season on a five-game winning streak. The Comets defeated the Wave in 2013 to get into the MISL Championship game. For the third time in four years, the Comets had a player win the scoring title, Leo Gibson. Gibson posted 76 points, 24 goals, and 25 assists by the seasons end. During the regular season, the Comets outscored the Wave 86-62.

More Photos

At 3:38 in the first, the Comets Max Touloute with an assist by Brian Harris scored the first two-points of the game with a deflection off the goal post. Thirty seconds later Leo Gibson began his post season scoring, with an assist by Ramone Palmer, added two-points for a four to zero lead. At 5:23 in the first, Danny Waltman goalkeeper for the Comets made a miraculous save to keep the score at 4-0.

At: 47 in the second quarter Brian Harris of the Comets received a two-minute penalty for tripping, and a five-minute penalty. Milwaukee was unable to take advantage of the power play and after the two-minutes; the score remained 4-0 Comets. At 10:16 in the second, Lucas Rodriguez fed Stefan St. Louis a shot, which he was able to drive past Marcel Feenstra the Wave goalkeeper for a 6-0 lead by the Comets. The Wave remained scoreless at the end of the first half.

At 2:10 of the second half, the Comets took the score to 8-0 when Gibson, unassisted drove the ball past the Wave defender. At 2:40 Brian Palmer of the Comets received a two-minute penalty for tripping, giving the Wave their second power play of the game. Nicholas Perera received a two-minute penalty for holding, giving the two team’s equal strength for the next 56 seconds.

At 4:09, Waltman made a diving save to keep the score at 8-0. The Wave was able to keep the Comets scoreless in the 66-second power play. The Comets scored at 6:41 in the third quarter when John Sosa assisted by Ramone Palmer scored two-points, giving the Comets 10 unanswered points. At the end of the third quarter, the Comets remained 10-0. This was the first time this season and post season that the Wave have been held scoreless for three quarters.

At 1:45 in the final quarter, Gibson hit the first three-point goal from long distance, this was his third goal, Ramone Palmer assisted on the goal. Gibson scored his fourth goal of the night at 4:11, assisted by Bryan Perez, giving the Comets a 15-point lead. At 6:54 the Milwaukee Wave scored their first goal of the playoffs when Philip Surprise, assisted by Tony Walls drove the ball past Waltman.

At 10:15, Touloute scored a three-pointer for the Comets with the assist by Rodriguez. Gibson scored his fourth goal a two-pointer at 12:10 in the fourth quarter giving him 11-points in the game. The 11 points gives Gibson the club record for individual points scored in a playoff. The second goal for the Wave came at 13:20 when Hewerton made an unassisted two-pointer. With 23.5 seconds, remaining Pablo with the Wave scored the third goal for Milwaukee with an assist by Carlos Munoz. The Comets held on to a 14-point lead to beat the Wave.

The second game of the Semi-Final Series continues on Monday night in Milwaukee. View the game at the Missouri Comets website.