School is in session and the summer has, for the kids, officially come to an end. You have done your ‘due diligence’ as a parent spending hours shopping for school supplies and clothes for the new school year. Yet, there is one thing, above all else, your child needs that cannot be purchased at any store – confidence.
Confidence is a key component to a successful school year. The power of confidence and can separate those students who will succeed from those who will struggle through school year. Confidence, best learned through personal achievement, is one of the most important life skills a child can learn. At the core, a quality Martial Arts program will build confidence into its students. As they pursue their black belts students are expected to perform their very best - on an individual basis. The process of learning and experiencing personal success builds the student’s self-esteem and creates the confidence within them to tackle new, bigger, more important challenges. Students enrolled in a quality Martial Arts program learn crucial life skills and the confidence to apply them in everyday life. These life skills will set them up for success in school and in life.
Students enrolled in quality Martial Arts programs will:
1. Learn to Think Independently - When a child learns to develop their own critical thinking skills they are also learning to become an active leader, one who is better positioned to make clear choices. This form of critical thinking is often over-looked in schools despite its importance. Martial Arts training will encourage students to be aware of their thinking, keeping themselves focused on positive thinking and positive goal-setting. They then use this focused thinking to propel better performance in school. By learning to think critically through exercises and activities students increase their confidence and their skills.
2. Learn How to Process Practical Knowledge - They learn to appreciate the value of practicing and understand that in order to fully develop, they need to invest in their knowledge. Through the learning the value of practice the student becomes more confident in their abilities as well as learning how to become more confident in anything they are actively learning.
3. Benefit From the Direction of Skilled Mentors – Good martial arts instructors serve as positive role models to young, impressionable children. The instructors directly and indirectly model confidence and positive behavior traits to their students. They also encourage the development of respect and friendships. Often, good instructors share personal experiences from their past with the students as a way to teach and deliver key messages.
4. Develop Personal Strengths - The pressures faced by young children while in school and their community can be intense. Martial Arts build into students the confidence they need to face these pressures. Children involved in the martial arts develop a greater sense of confidence and this confidence stays with them as they grow and mature.
5. Become Bully Resistant - A child who lacks confidence often finds themselves the victim of bullying on the school bus, playground, in the hallways and in the classroom. Bullying is as much mental as it is physical. Children who study Martial Arts are encouraged to maintain proper posture, make eye contact and stand up for themselves and their friends. Through Martial Arts children learn to exhibit confidence and have the mental strength and focus needed to neutralize violent situations without resorting to violence.
While you are thinking about back-to-school and the supplies needed for a successful school year don’t forget the importance of instilling confidence. Success through Martial Arts can easily translate to success in life. Give your child a head start on success this year, get them involved in Martial Arts. Let your child’s instructor be their “success partner” for the upcoming school year. By choosing to enroll your child in Martial Arts you are positioning your child to achieve their absolute best – in life and in school.