Essential oils are highly concentrated extracts from plants around the world. The oils come from around the world - roots,wood, flowers, fruit and leaves. There are so many uses for essential oils.
ESSENTIAL OIL USES FOR THE HOME:
- Placing five drops of your fave scent on a cotton ball and put in your vacuum cleaner bag or air vents. Geranium is great for pet odors.
- Put a few drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl of water and place your dishcloth or sponge in the bowl overnight to disinfect and kill germs.
- Clean your kitchen sink with this cleanser - blend 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/8 cup of vinegar and five drops each of bergamot and lime essential oils. Rinse with warm water.
- Fill a bowl with cool water and add two to three drops of lemon to clean and add shelf life to your fruit. Make sure all sides of the fruit come in contact with the lemon water. Wash fruit first!
- Keep flies away by placing just add 25 drops of peppermint essential oil to a spray bottle full of water and shake well before each use. Use on counter tops, window and doors.
- Add ten drops of lemon, lavender, geranium, peppermint or ylang-ylang oil to a box of baking soda . Shake well and let sit for an hour then sprinkle on carpet. Leave for an hour and then vacuum for a great carpet deodorizer.
- Bounce cooking odors by putting a few drops of clove, cinnamon or citrus oil into a simmering pot of water. Make sure it's not left unattended.
- Rinse your refrigerator, stove and freezer with a few drops of lime, grapefruit, bergamot or lemongrass to the rinse water.
- Keep rodents away with three to six drops of peppermint oil on cotton ball and place where they are coming.
- If you have a problem with shoe odors, place a few drops of geranium oil in them or place lemon on a cotton ball inside the shoe.
- Ten milliliters of peppermint oil mixed with a gallon of paint helps get rid of the paint odor.
- Lavender or tea tree oil applied directly to skin aids with cuts, scrapes and scratches.
- If you have a cold try putting two – four drops each of lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus oil in one cup of milk and to your bath.
- Grapefruit oil is great for alertness and to stimulate your memory. Inhale when driving or studying, etc.
- Add six to eight drops of eucalyptus oil to your bath to cool your body temperature in summer and shield it in winter.
- Inhaling peppermint helps resist the urge to overeat. It also boosts your mood and aids with fatigue.
- Hangovers – we all know how fun they are – can be eased by blending six to eight drops of juniper berry, cedarwood, grapefruit, lavender, rosemary and lemon and add to a bath.
- Fevers can be brought down by sponge bathing with cool water with two to three drops each of eucalyptus, lavender and peppermint.
- For a headache try massaging lavender oil onto neck or temples.
- Add one part each eucalyptus, sage and basil to four parts jojoba oil and massage into skin for help with sore joints and weary muscles.
- If you have trouble sleeping put one or two drops of lavender and chamomile on a cotton ball and place under your pillow.
- Stiff and arthritic joints can benefit from two drops each of wintergreen, cypress and lemongrass mixed with two tablespoons of carrier oil and massaged on area as needed.
Stay tuned as next column will cover the use of essential oils in beauty and aromatherapy. Bright blessings – Lady Bastet