This Tuesday August 12, 2014 will mark the beginning of the wrongful death trial of famed Denver wrestling coach and former 2006 World Greco Bronze Medalist, Lindsey Durlacher. He passed away in his sleep on June 4th 2011 while recovering from surgery to repair his broken sternum suffered in a snowmobiling accident.
A member of the only American National Wrestling team to ever win a Greco-Roman World Championship, Durlacher’s hard-nosed and gritty performance in that tournament enabled the rugged veteran to individually claim the Bronze Medal….which directly impacted the US National Greco Team to ultimately claim the Gold Medal in the 2007 World Greco Championships.
Tuesday’s trial will finally decide the fate of Lindsey’s surgeon Mark B. Douthit, MD who performed the surgery to repair Durlacher’s fractured sternum. The fracture to Durlacher’s sternum was caused by a snowmobiling accident in which Durlacher was struck by former Rino Sport Galleri MMA fighter, Rocky Hoffschneider.
Durlacher was seriously injured in the accident and after the injury failed to heal on its own, Durlacher needed surgery to repair his broken sternum after complaining of severe pain in the upper front portion of his chest for a few months. Durlacher’s surgery would be performed by cardio thoracic surgeon, Dr Mark Douthit who practices at Boulder Valley Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Center which is part of the Boulder Community Hospital Association. Dr Douthit performed a procedure called an “open reduction internal fixation of the sternal fracture with a Synthesis Plate”.
This procedure uses a plate called The Syntheses Plate which was supplied as part of a kit which included: sternal plates and screws. The kit also came with tools: depth gauge, calipers, screwdrivers, pliers, forceps and templates.
The Syntheses Plate Kit which was supplied as part of a kit that included instructions directing that the screws must be properly measured and selected to not stick out beyond the patient’s posterior cortex (the back part of the sternum).
The allegations against Dr. Douthit and Boulder Community Hospital claim that Lindsey Durlacher died as a result of the negligence in properly providing correct measurements to ensure the proper length screws were used during surgery to repair the fractured sternum using a Syntheses Plate kit.
For more information, please feel free to contact Boulder Community Hospital directly at: 303-440-2273 or Dr Mark Douthit at: 970-221-5878
Lindsey Durlacher - Wrestling Awards & Honors:
- 3X World Team member
- 2003 Pan American Games Greco Roman Wrestling - Silver Medal
- 2006 Greco Roman Wrestling World Championships
- 2006 U.S. Open - Champion
- 2007 Pan American Games Greco Roman Wrestling - Silver Medal - 4X Maccabiah Games Freestyle & Greco - Champion
- 2X State High School Wrestling - Champion
- 1992 ASICS All-American - 1st Team
- 1997 NCAA Finalist - 4X NCAA national qualifier
- 2X All-American - University of Illinois
- Sunkist Kids International - Champion
- NYAC International Open - Champion
- Slovenia Grand Prix - Champion
- Dave Schultz Memorial International – Champion
- 2007 Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association Hall of Fame
- RiNo Sport Galleri - Resident Wrestling Coach
- University of Illinois – Assistant Coach
- Northwestern – Assistant Coach
- Northern Illiinois – Assistant Coach
- U.S. Naval Academy – Assistant Coach