The 17th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards delivered some great results for the Naughty Dog team. Winning ten awards (yes, ten!), The Last of Us was a testament of true dedication and hard work and won awards such as "Outstanding Innovation in Gaming", "Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction", and "Game of the Year".
Here are the ten awards Naughty Dog took home from the D.I.C.E. Awards for The Last of Us:
- Adventure Game of the Year – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Story – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Character Performance – The Last of Us (Ellie)
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming – The Last of Us
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction – The Last of Us
- Game of the Year – The Last of Us
Here’s the full list of the rest of the fine winners compiled by PlayStation LifeStyle:
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition – BioShock Infinite
- Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering – Grand Theft Auto V
- Action Game of the Year – BioShock Infinite
- Fighting Game of the Year – Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Role Playing Game/Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year – Diablo III
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year – XCOM: Enemy Within
- Casual Game of the Year – Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Family Game of the Year – Super Mario 3D World
- Racing Game of the Year – Forza Motorsport 5
- Sports Game of the Year – FIFA 14
- Downloadable Game of the Year – Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (it’s free on PS+ in North America right now!)
- Handheld Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Mobile Game of the Year – Plants vs Zombies 2
- Online Game of the Year – World of Tanks
What did the Naughty Dog team have to say about the wins? Many took it to Twitter. Here are just a few of the MANY tweets from the team who were overwhelmed with excitement for such dedication.
Creative Director Neil Druckmann: "Oh man. 10 awards. Congrats to all the dogs. I'm super lucky to be working with all of you. #thelastofus #DICE2014"
Game Director Bruce Straley: "Amazed, blown away, blessed, baffled, guilty, honored, & slightly incontinent over the 10 awards the Dogs got tonight at AIAS! #TheLastofUs"
Community Strategist Eric Monacelli: "Super proud to be a @Naughty_Dog tonight. #DICEAwards #DICE2014"
Community Strategist Arne Meyer: "Thanks everyone for all the nice words! Proud to be a @Naughty_Dog tonight & being recognized by our peers. Congrats Dogs! #TheLastOfUs"
Senior Game Designer Benson Russell: "#TheLastOfUs got 10 awards at #DICE2014 awards!! Give @bruce_straley and @Neil_Druckmann a shout out for keeping the vision!!"
Sound Designer Erick Ocampo: "Pretty damn awesome, #TheLastOfUs got 10 awards at #DICE2014 Including Game of the Year!"
Dynamics Artist Neilan Naicker: "The Last of Us wins 10 out of 12 nominated categories at the D.I.C.E. Awards, including Game of the Year! So proud to be part of this team!"
What is the team up to now? Just as the Left Behind downloadable content for The Last of Us will be arriving on Valentine's Day, Neil Druckmann told Eurogamer, "We just wrapped up Left Behind, and Bruce Straley, the game director, and I have been doing this for over four years now. So it's just time for a break, and to recharge the batteries."
"We have started brainstorming some stuff. To be honest, some of them are sequel ideas, and some of them are brand new IP - we've spent the last few weeks brainstorming new IP. So we have to get some good steps and see... It's kind of like how we approached Left Behind. Can we tell people a story that's really worth telling, and that's not repeating itself? And if we can't, where can we get inspired - what is something that's really going to challenge us, and push storytelling in this medium forward," Druckmann stated.
Druckmann also shared with Eurogamer that they were worried that they’d "somehow diminish the experience of The Last of Us. So that’s great to hear,” once he heard the positive responses from the interviewee.
So, we have February 14th to look forward to for the Left Behind DLC and much more from the Naughty Dog team. Congratulations on your much deserved wins!
As always, don't forget to hit "subscribe" at the top to keep up with all of the latest news, reviews, and previews. Plus, toss in a follow on Twitter.
Plus also, Game On, powered by Examiner, is a select group of reliable and credible writers, giving you the latest gaming news, reviews, interviews and previews. Follow the team on Twitter,Facebook, and YouTube.