When I first decided to become an Examiner, I did so with the intention of reviewing local independent bookstores. My thought process was that by finding these "diamonds in the rough" I could unite other indie authors with their readers and maybe even introduce a few folks to the indie book scene.
There are no indie bookstores anymore.
I stand corrected. There is one close by me, in Roanoke, Texas. I guess since The Book Carriage is something I just happened to stumble on, I assumed they were everywhere. The next closest independent bookstore that isn't a comic book shop, textbook emporium, or major chain is in Oklahoma. As in travel to another state. No thank you.
Not only is The Book Carriage a great author resource and a good place to write, (they have a loft with a really comfy couch and a coffee bar,) but a community treasure as well. Here are a few upcoming events:
- Live Music - Every Saturday evening.
- Bi-lingual Story Time - Every Wednesday at 10:30am.
- Celebrate Roanoke - Meet local children's authors and bring your little ones to enjoy the puppet show. (October 12th, 11am - 6pm)
- Poetry Reading - Performed by teens from one of the local schools, check The Book Carriage website to see if this event will be open to the public. (October 24th, 6pm - 8pm)
- Author Meet and Greet - A panel of local authors writing in the same genre will be available for signings and questions. Genre and authors TBD, check back at The Book Carriage Website. (November 16th)
- Open House - Roanoke has a Christmas Parade every year and The Book Carriage will be open for business. Stop by and grab a cup of something warm, and check out their events as well.
The Book Carriage also shows art both from local artists (for sale,) and from local school children (probably need to ask their parents first.) Rooms are available for conferences and children's events, and there is always free WiFi. Come by for any of their events, or just to have a quiet place to read or write. Please, help support local authors and the last indie bookstore in the area!