Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.. Matthew 6:9-14 (MSG)
The last time I wrote I began working on Matthew 6, here with Giving to the Needy and Jesus teaches us about money. As a mother of three children of her own and two step children I am finding this project a bit challenging. However, I also began it in the middle of Winter Break. I am extremely excited for school to begin Monday. I hope I am not the only one. Awful isn't? Well maybe today's topic will help me, Prayer. In the 6th chapter of Matthew verses 5 through 15, Jesus teaches us how to pray. Since I am a Type A personality I will break up this lesson in 9 steps.
- Pray in private. Your conversation is in between you and God.
- Do not babble. God already knows our needs before we ask.
- Praise God. Give credit where credit is due.
- Ask for things to be completed as he sees it. He created the world, He knows how it works. He should be calling the shots, not us.
- Ask for what you need not what you want. Not for all time, just for today. Just as God provided manna to the children of Israel daily. God will also provide us what we need each and every day. No need to store it up.
- Ask God for the strength and wisdom to get through the trials, tests and temptations though this day. We do not have to do this alone.
- Ask for the ability to forgive others
- Give Him praise, let Him know how you love Him.
- Finish with Amen. So be it. Let if be so.
To what extent do you use this to guide your own prayer times?