Trying to take advantage of the global economy found a boutique in China that would sell his items on consignment.
He neatly boxed the shipment and even priced the product at 250 yuan.
The boutique objected to the price. It was not that the price was too high, in fact everyone agreed it was a tremendous value.
So why did they object?
To see the answer, click here.
Most marketing campaigns used today are designed to be extremely generic. By reaching out to the masses a company eliminates connecting with some demographics. This faux pas demonstrates an extreme example but much more subtle examples occur frequently. Sometimes it is as innocent as a confusing or insulting word while other times it can be blatant, like this example.
Yet as the population of America continues to grow and more cultures become cost-effective to market to. Media growth also helps reduce the cost of demographic specific marketing. Most large metropolitan areas have cultural newspapers, cable systems have channels that target well-defined cultures and cultural centers with events to be sponsored.
Univision and MBC reach Hispanic and Arabic ethnic cultures while the OWN and Speed have explicit gender-targeted demographics. Local marketers can advertise on these channels by purchasing time through local cable companies that often allow advertising to be placed by ZIP codes.
This is part of a series focusing on marketing mistakes designed to challenge marketing professionals to carefully think through their marketing campaigns. It is used by permission from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based business and talent development website filled with complimentary information.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Additional Cultural Resources
Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Marketing by the numbers
- 10 Marketing Secrets All Business Owners Must Know that coaches and marketing experts won't tell you!
- 15 Marketing Trends In 2013, and how your business can use them.
- 57 Hot Business Marketing Strategies: offline and online marketing techniques, tips and tricks from successful entrepreneurs
- 500 Social Media Marketing Tips: essential advice, hints and strategy for business about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn and more!
- 7 Deadly sins of signage.
- 5 Deadly small business mistakes.
- Top tips for using Linked In- a series of the top three best practices for using Linked In to build business.
- Top marketing mistakes- includes a humorous video of leading marketing mistakes.
- Differentiate the right way- a series of articles about best practices in attracting customers.