Strongly written resumes and cover letters can help to land you a job. However, a current career summary can take your professional life to a much higher level. A career summary is more than just your work history and/or educational background. It is a road map of sorts that will assist you in achieving your career goals. In addition, a career summary can assist you during job interviews, performance reviews, and career transitions.
The following suggestions below will help you to build a solid career summary:
- List out your top ten job skillsets.
- List out your educational background, including any degrees/certifications which you have received.
- List out your work history for the past ten years. Your work history should include your job title, duties, contributions, start and end date, and the location of the company.
- List out where you envision your career a year from now.
- List out any professional associations and/or networking groups which you belong to.
- What steps are you currently taking to towards career development?
Career summaries are the most effective if they are updated at least a couple of times a year.