‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ soared over Disney’s ‘Frozen’ and Tyler Perry’s ‘Madea’ to top the domestic weekend box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
The fantasy sequel based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved novel grossed $73.6 million in ticket sales on its opening weekend. However, ‘Smaug’ did fall short of equaling ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,’ which earned $84.6 million on the same weekend last year.
After spending last weekend at No. 1, Disney’s animated 3D comedy adventure ‘Frozen’ slipped to No. 2 in its fourth weekend, earning $22.5 million for a total of $164.7 million since opening in limited release Nov. 22.
‘Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas’ debuted at No. 3 with $16 million.
‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ dropped two spots to No. 4 in its fourth weekend, earning $13.6 million for a total of $357.5.8 million since opening Nov. 22.
‘Thor: The Dark World’ dipped one spot to No. 5 in its sixth weekend, earning $2.8 million for a total of $198.2 million since opening Nov. 8.
WEDNESDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASE
- San Diego news anchor Ron Burgundy returns to New York’s first 24-hour news channel in ‘Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues’ starring Will Ferrell. The comedy, rated PG-13, opens at theaters on Wednesday. Watch the official trailer here.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASES
- A con man is forced to work for a wild FBI agent in R-rated crime drama ‘American Hustle’ starring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. Watch the official trailer here.
- The author of ‘Mary Poppins’ reflects on her difficult childhood while meeting Walt Disney for the film adaptation of her novel in biographical dramedy ‘Saving Mr. Banks’ starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
- See how dinosaurs ruled the Earth in animated family adventure 'Walking with Dinosaurs 3D.' Rated PG. Watch the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- A man is on a mission to bring equality to Earth’s citizens in R-rated sc-fi action drama ‘Elysium’ starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster.
- A mafia clan tries to adjust after being relocated to France under the witness protection program in R-rated comedy crime thriller ‘The Family’ starring Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Tommy Lee Jones.
- The villain Red Mist plots revenge on high-school hero Kick-Ass in R-rated action comedy sequel ‘Kick-Ass 2.’
- Native American Tonto recounts the adventures of a legendary lawman in action-packed western ‘The Lone Ranger’ starring Johnny Depp. Rated PG-13.
- Get a look at London-based pop boy band One Direction’s rise to fame in music documentary ‘One Direction: This is Us.’ Rated PG.
- The demigod son of Poseidon embarks on a quest with his friends to find the Golden Fleece and stop an ancient evil from rising in fantasy adventure ‘Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.’ Rated PG. Based on the Rick Riordan novel.
- A father takes matters into his own hands when his daughter goes missing in R-rated crime thriller ‘Prisoners’ starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal.