I was surprised to learn that a cucumber is a type of melon and is part of the same family as zucchini, other squash and watermelon. Easily available in most parts of the world this tropical plant can be eaten as is, or you can pickle it but this process causes them to lose most of their nutrients. Funny, even my dog loves cucumbers and we always share with him. Cucumbers are one of the most hydrating vegetables you can eat, they are about 96% water and aid in keep you not only hydrated but also keeps you cool.
Here are some of the health benefits that come from eating cucumbers
1. Aid Digestion - Acid is neutralized with the juice from the cucumber which regulates the bodies blood ph.
2. Fight Cancers - With the anti-cancer benefits still in its preliminary stages, cucumbers contain a compound called cucurbitacins which researchers believe will lead to development of new anti-cancer drugs.
3. Water Retention - Our bodies need electrolytes to restore hydration which cucumbers supply, once we are properly hydrated out bodies no longer feel the need to retain water thus relieving bloating.
4. Treat Tapeworms - If you want to expel and kill of tapeworms, include cucumber in your diet, it is the seeds that are so effective.
5. Aid in Weight Loss - It is the high water content and nutritional value of the cucumber that has it help with weight loss.
6. Acts as a Diuretic - Cucumber are not only an antioxidant but also a anti-inflammatory, they are a valuable source of antioxidant nutrients including beta-carotene, manganese and vitamin C.
7. Reduces Cholesterol - Cucumbers contain a plant sterol which helps witht he reduction of bad cholesterol or LDL.
8. Stimulates Hair Growth - It is suggested that drinking cucumber juice along with carrot, spinach or lettuce juice helps with hair growth, it is the silicon and sulfur content that they contain.
9. Promotes Joint Health - Including bones, cartilage, ligaments, bones and tendons, silica is necessary and can be found in cucumbers.
10. Controls Blood Pressure - Cucumbers contain traces of sodium and minerals which, like celery, have the ability
11. Beneficial for Teeth and Gums - It is the juice of the cucumber that is highly beneficial in curing many teeth and gum problems. Where chocolate is a major culprit in tooth and gum problems, cucumbers balance out the damage it causes.
12. Relieves Gout and Arthritis Pain - Cucumbers can help countering certain acids that cause inflammation in joints. What happens is the juice of the cucumber acts as a cleaning agent doing its work on your joints eliminating the uric acid.
Sources: The World's Healthiest Foods