With eight brand new teams, who never had food truck experience, they are vying for their ultimate food truck plus $50,000. The teams consist of:
- Boardwalk Breakfast Empire from Sea Bright, N.J. who operated a luncheonette called Steve’s that was swept out to sea by Hurricane Sandy. Joanne, Ted and Eileen hope to win for their home town.
- Bowled and Beautiful are California girls Heather, Liza and Jess. They are three friends who met in culinary school and want to prove that 40 is the new 20.
- The Frankfoota Truck housed Dana, Victoria and Mirlinda from Brooklyn, N.Y. want to show America how to enjoy their favorite food.
- Aloha Plate represented by brothers Lanai and Adam and their close buddy Shawn are three guys from a remote island in Hawaii who grew up poor. When Adam saw a man drowning in the ocean, he swam out and saved him. For his gratitude, the man sent Adam to culinary school. He then went on to work in some of the most famous restaurants in Hawaii.
- Murphy’s Spud Truck consists of culinary student Nicole, her mother Suellen and brother James. Nicole was an aspiring chef, but a tumor the size of a grapefruit, left her depressed and n debt. Now the family wants to help her continue her dream while bringing potato creations to southern California.
- Philly’s Finest Sambonis are Erik, Joe and Chris, childhood friends who profess the love of cheese, meat and greatness. Erik was earning a good living as an electrician, but a devastating car accident ended his career and left him with herniated disks and nerve damage in his entire body. Now these guys want to make Philadelphia proud with their Sambonis, which are sandwiches too good to call just sandwiches.
- The Slide Show are trained chefs, Das, Erin and Moe. After appearing on Food Network Star, Das opened his own restaurant in West Hollywood, Calif. Unfortunately, his business partners took him for a ride, so now he is ready to redeem himself with the help of his friends.
- Tikka Tikka Taco from St. Louis, Mo. are brothers Mike and Shawn and their Uncle Sam want to bring Indian food to the masses.
As the teams arrive in Hollywood, their cars and trucks are covered with tarps. They lined up awaiting their orders from Tyler. They got to see their trucks and all the equipment inside. However, they need paper products and supplies and were given $250 seed money. Because that will never be enough, they must create only one signature meal to cook and sell in Beverly Hills with a price of no less than $20. Tyler called to tell them to shut down and head to San Francisco. As they reloaded their trucks with ice, propane and gasoline, Tyler called to tell them he was coming to count their money. In order of the money they had, they would head to San Francisco in fifteen-minute increments. The team with the most money will leave first; the last team will leave one hour and forty-five minutes later.
Bold and Beautiful left first, followed by Philly’s Finest, The Slide Show, Boardwalk Breakfast Empire, Aloha Plate, Tikka Tikka Taco and then The Frankfoota Truck. On the way, Tyler called with news that they would all be selling in the Soma Food Truck Park, not only against each other, but the great trucks that are there. They can sell their signature dish for whatever price they choose, but it must be a new food.
Each truck has a spot in the park, but Murphy’s Spud Truck cannot get their pilot light lit. Finally; the man from the park helped them, but because they were selling a salad, they could not change their menu.
As Tyler met with the teams, they finished in this order; Philly’s Finest, Bold and Beautiful, Tikka Tikka Taco, The Slide Show, Aloha Plate, Boardwalk Breakfast Empire, Frankfoota Truck. Sadly, Murphy’s Spud Truck was the first truck to leave the race. Had they found the valve earlier, they would still be in the race.
If you liked what you read, please click on the "Subscribe" button above, and you will never miss another post from this Examiner. Thanks!