With five teams left to battle it out, they are vying for their ultimate food truck plus $50,000 in seed money. The teams now consist of:
- Bowled and Beautiful are California girls and single mothers, Heather, Liza and Jess. They are three friends who met in culinary school and want to prove that 40 is the new 20 as they serve up food in bowls.
- Aloha Plate represented by brothers Lanai and Adam and their close buddy Shawn are three guys from a remote island in Hawaii who grew up poor. When Adam saw a man drowning in the ocean, he swam out and saved him. For his gratitude, the man sent Adam to culinary school. He then went on to work in some of the most famous restaurants in Hawaii.
- Philly’s Finest Sambonis are Erik, Joe and Chris, childhood friends who profess the love of cheese, meat and greatness. Erik was earning a good living as an electrician, but a devastating car accident ended his career and left him with herniated disks and nerve damage in his entire body. Now these guys want to make Philadelphia proud with their Sambonis, which are sandwiches too good to call just sandwiches.
- The Slide Show are trained chefs, Das, Ahrin and Moe. After appearing on Food Network Star, Daz opened his own restaurant in West Hollywood, Calif. Unfortunately, his business partners took him for a ride, so now he is ready to redeem himself with the help from his friends.
- Tikka Tikka Taco from St. Louis, Mo. are brothers Mike and Shawn and their Uncle Sam want to bring Indian food to the masses.
The team eliminated last week, was Frankfoota, the hot dog truck with three feisty Brooklyn gals who are taking their dream back home. Dana, Victoria and Mirlinda put up a good fight, but were edged out in the end.
On the way to Mt. Rushmore, the teams discuss their strategy. When they arrive near the Crazy Horse memorial, Tyler gave them the newest challenge. They will be about thirty-five miles from there in Rapid City. There are several attractions in this area and their pricing, food and menu must appeal to the visitors. Tyler gave them this week’s starting allowance; just $50, but Tyler told them he would not call them “today” to restrict their menu in any way. They were busy finding the cheapest way to get food to the masses, but Tyler called with the Speed Bump; not to restrict their menu, but to tell them he was towing all their cars. Now one person from each truck had to get to their destination, because only two people could ride in the truck. If they took all three, they would be disqualified. The people of Rapid City were awesome; they gave rides to the racers and helped them find the best spots to park their trucks. When they sold out of food, they restocked their supply and the people waited patiently. All five teams were making lots of money, and the people were happy. Soon, they ran out of customers and scrambled for new places to park. The Bowled and Beautiful truck had a difficult time and then found the Philly truck and tried to take their customers away. Tyler called to tell them they could get their cars back for $100. Each team in its entirety had to claim their car. Luckily, many of them got rides to the impound lot; oh, and they were done selling for the day.
The next day, their cash from the day before was very important. Tyler called them to tell them according to their sales of the previous day; they would leave for a purveyor to pick up their buffalo. They would have to butcher their own meat. Aloha Plate left first, then Slide Show, followed by Tikka Tikka Taco, Bowled and Beautiful, and finally, Philly left to butcher their buffalo. Now each truck had to feature buffalo as their main ingredient of whatever they decided to make. They had until a certain time to make $1,500. If they did not reach that amount by that time, they had to pack up and leave for the designated meeting place at Skyline Drive to find a Lakota artifact worth as much as $750.
First place went to Aloha Plate, and they got the $750 boost to their till. Tikka Tikka Taco was second, and the Slide Show was third leaving the Bowled and Beautiful and Philly truck to fight over the last spot. One will be eliminated.
The sad part is; one team was eliminated by just $122 dollars. Even sadder, they all finished with totals higher than all previous weeks. Aloha Plate had $6,841 and first place. Next was Slide Show with $6,199. Third was Tikka Tikka Taco with $5,865. Tyler was heartbroken to send someone home, but Philly’s Finest was fourth with $3,800 and on the losing end, Bowled and Beautiful had $3,678, sending them home, but Tyler told fans to never underestimate the power of a single mother.
If you liked what you read, please click on the "Subscribe" button above, and you will never miss another post from this Television Examiner. Thanks!