Let's face it, winter is pretty slow for fly fishermen. While there can be some some good angling opportunities even in the dead of winter, most anglers would rather pass up a frigid, wet day on a river for warmer climes. For some fly anglers adept at fly tying, that means time at the vise - for others with a little cash to burn that means travel for fly fishing in some exotic location. But there's another way to get some 'virtual' fly fishing in and that's by attending The Fly Fishing Show.
The Fly Fishing Show premiers in three locales that are all within driving distance to the Binghamton area:
- January 17 - 19, Marlborough, MA, at the Royal Plaza (approx. 5 hours)
- January 24 - 26, Somerset, NJ, at the Garden State Convention Center (approx 3 hours)
- March 1 - 2, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, at the Lancaster County Convention Center (approx 3.5 hours)
Tickets are reasonably priced, but prices vary by location, as do the times the show is open (see the show's website for specific hours and prices).
The Fly Fishing Show, world's largest producer of consumer fly fishing expos, has been around the block and knows how to put on a good show. They start with attracting big names, including the likes of:
- Jay Fishy Fullum, Enrico Puglisi, and Greg Senyo (all expert fly tyers)
- Barry and Cathy Beck (world class fly fishing)
- Bob Clouser (expert smallmouth bass fly fisher)
- Ed Engle (Colorado fly fisher and expert nymph angler)
- Joe Humphreys (holder of PA's state record brown and fly fishing hall of famer)
- Lefty Kreh (World famous casting expert and fly fishing guru)
- Bob Popovics (saltwater fly fishing expert and fly tyer)
- Steve Rajeff (ACA Casting Hall of Famer)
- Dave Whitlock (expert fly fisher, writer, and fly tyer)
They then throw in close to 300 exhibitors covering all aspects of fly fishing, including:
- Trips, Seminars, and Classes
- Gear, Tackle, Clothing
- Fly Casting Demos
- Over 50 talks and demos each day
- The International Federation of Fly Fishers free introductory fly-casting instruction, knot-tying instruction and a shot at tying a first fly.
And add in Grand Door Prizes, ranging in value from $1,500 to $5,000, including:
- Restigouche River Atlantic Salmon Fly Fishing Getaway for Two
- Nervous Waters Dorado fishing trip to Argentina
- Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures and East End Lodge
This show is truly one not to be missed. Anglers stuck in the winter doldrums have no reason to be blue any more!