In January I wrote about the Droid Bionic. This phone to me embodied the future of Android. Similar to the original Droid, it would be one of the most powerful. I also wrote about the differences between the LG Revolution, HTC Thunderbolt and the Moto Bionic. I believe compared to the other Verizon 4G/LTE phones, it will be superior in quality, battery life, and speed. Lastly, I also wrote about upgrading or switching to Verizon and the differences between Blackberry, iPhone, old Android phones and the new 4G phones; which you can find here. But things have changed. The specs are slightly different, the form has changed and some (including Motorola) would say for the better. Motorola’s exact words are: This includes expanded features, functionality and an improved form factor. Motorola Mobility and Verizon Wireless are very excited about bringing the 'new' DROID BIONIC to market.
A few changes
So what has changed?
1. It appears to no longer sport a Tegra 2. It now appears to have to have a Dual-core OMAP processor produced by Texas Instruments.
2. Forget the 4.3 inch screen we are moving to 4.5 inches.
3. No more upgrade to Android 2.3, it now comes with Android 2.3.4 (shall I say super Gingerbread?).
4. Although it will not come with the 1950 mAh battery promised (BOO!) it should come with 1750mAh battery – which is significantly more powerful than any current battery available (including HTC Thunderbolt which has terrible battery life and Samsung Charge which is said to have great battery life).
5. New docking capabilities similar to Motorola Atrix
6. New version of MotoBlur. I wish it had Stock Android like my Droid 1 and Virgin’s new Android phones (including the Motorola Triumph) see here.
a. Netflix app.
b. New Google Talk app with Video chatting enabled
But when is all this coming? Motorola said summer but the latest rumor is July 4th. Which I believe may be the most accurate date (I don’t believe we will see this later than July 11th). This comes from a spec sheet from “reliable news sources” obtained by “The Pop Herald”. I don’t know how reliable these sources are but if Motorola keeps its word July would have to be it. We already know the iPhone 5 is coming in September (some are saying possibly August), therefore because of advertising contractual relationships with manufacturers it makes sense that the Motorola Droid Bionic come out before that timeframe. Cases have showed up at Meijer. Lastly as the phone that will be a major contender to the next iPhone, Motorola has to make a move fast. What better date than July 4th?
Make sure you check out the photos in the slideshow. But most importantly check out the first picture in the slideshow it shows the about screen. It’s definitely the Droid Bionic with Android Gingerbread.
Stay tuned I’m going to do a comparison between the Droid Bionic and the Galaxy S II. Chime in and follow me on Twitter or subscribe here. Make sure to also check the setup and tip guide I put together, you can find it here.