Are you cuckoo for coconut oil?
If not, you might want to reconsider – and not just because “nature’s perfect food” has become a hot commodity among the rich and famous. In addition to its delectability and beauty benefits, coconut oil has been scientifically proven to promote better health in a many ways. (See the “Top Ten Health Tips for using Coconut Oil” below.)
To coincide with the New Year, Dr. Bruce Fife has released a 5th edition of his popular book, The Coconut Oil Miracle (Avery, $18.00). This revised edition includes his original groundbreaking research and updates as well as the latest studies on the links between coconut oil and benefits related to heart function, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s disease.
Those who have made a resolution to improve their own health and well-being in 2014 might find the following revelations to be of particular interest, as coconut oil has been shown to:
- Promote weight loss in overweight individuals, and stimulate metabolism
- Sooth symptoms associated with digestive problems such as Crohn’s disease, colitis, and IBS
- Boost energy levels
- Help moderate blood sugar and reduce risk of diabetes
- Reduce risks of cancer, liver disease, and heart disease
- Help prevent premature aging of the skin
- Have a mild, delicate flavor, and is excellent in cooking
For a more in depth look at the benefits associated with using coconut oil, here is a 10 Top Health Tips list based on The Coconut Oil Miracle, 5th Edition …
10 Top Health Tips for using Coconut Oil
1. Insect Bite Relief – Spring, summer, winter or fall, coconut oil is a great way to ease the sting and itch of an insect bite. Apply directly to skin as needed.
2. Protection against childhood illnesses (earaches, UTIs, more) – In addition to protecting against common ear infections, the antimicrobial properties found in coconut oil may prevent -- and even treat -- urinary tract infections. Move over cranberry juice!
3. Chapped Skin Healer – Say goodbye to rough heels, raw hands, and ashy complexions. Coconut oil is a magic lotion for all ages. And for Mom, it doesn’t hurt that celebrities from Gwyneth Paltrow to Carrie Underwood claim coconut oil is their #1 beauty secret!
4. Exfoliator – forget Retin-A; Coconut oil naturally and gently and safely turns over skin cells and is a fountain of youth for all ages.
5. Natural Hair Conditioner – Create salon hair at home for your entire family with budget friendly coconut oil. It can be used as a daily conditioner and/or a leave-in solution to repair dry manes.
6. Nature’s Tums – The digestively challenged will benefit from the healing properties of coconut oil – including food allergy relief and health improvements for ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome.
7. Nutritious Dessert ingredient – from cookies to muffins to ice cream, coconut oil adds nutrients and boosts metabolisms. In fact, coconut oil is a healthy ice cream topper. Although liquid at room temperature, when poured over ice cream it immediately hardens and creates a “hard-candy” shell.
8. Healthier teeth and gums – Ingesting coconut oil has been proven to lead to better dental health in adults and children. Some research points to the theory that it can even prevent the development of cavities and periodontal disease. In fact, natural toothpaste recipes with coconut oil are the latest internet sensation.
9. Flu Fighter -- Coconut oil is a natural way to fight infection and overcome seasonal illness, such as the flu. Add coconut oil to each meal throughout the day, mixed into orange juice or used to prepare a soup, and help your body heal faster.
10. Natural Dandruff Solution -- Use coconut oil as an alternative to harsh dandruff shampoos for children (and adults too). Just apply a little on the scalp, massage in, and rinse.
Dr. Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D., is an author, speaker, certified nutritionist, and naturopath. He has written over 20 books, including Coconut Cures and Coconut Lover’s Cookbook, and is the publisher and editor of the Healthy Ways Newsletter. Fife serves as the president of the Coconut Research Center, an organization whose purpose is to educate health care professionals and the public about the health and nutritional aspects of coconut. He was the first to gather together the medical research on the health benefits of coconut oil and present it in an understandable and readable format for the general public. Fife is widely recognized as one of the leading authorities on the health benefits of coconut oil.
The Coconut Oil Miracle, 5th Edition is available now in paperback and digital formats.
With thanks to Laura Rossi Totten, President of Laura Rossi Public Relations, for generously providing the materials for this article.