Much has happened in the year since the spa at the beautiful Boulders in Arizona changed its name to Waldorf Astoria Spa and it’s all good. There are now endless pamper possibilities with new choices, self-guided experiences that seamlessly integrate the facility with the surrounding Sonoran Desert and its Native American legacy, and a complete collection of exclusively-formulated spa products, amenities and spa journeys.
Spa Menu highlights
At the core of the new pampering choices are three inner journeys: Desert Zen, Global Shaman and Radiant Oasis that utilize corporates scents from the resort’s own organic garden to the surrounding desert landscape that showcases the richness of the Sonoran desert.
- Desert Zen Experiences (De-stress, Unwind) These treatments are designed to help guests unwind after he hectic pace of everyday life through calming with a meditative therapies such as the Yuzu Sage Splash--a delightful, fun and exotic treatment that begins with a gentle body polish of powdered herbs, honey granules and mineral rich salts. It is followed by a Vichy shower in combination with a lively lime peel foaming gel. Hydration is then locked into the skin with a delicious blend of desert sage, yuzu and jasmine body lotion.
- Global Shaman Experiences (Adventure, Discovery) zero in on healing traditions that have evolved around the world by taking ancient and traditional modalities and presenting them with a modern twist. Many are less-known and bring a sense of adventure –especially to regular spa-goers that want to try something different. For example, the “Lotus Blossoming Chakra Massage” uses ancient wisdom that identifies seven core energy centers and luxurious oils that are attuned to the energies. When these centers are in alignment life begins to “blossom.”
- Radiant Oasis Experiences (Beauty, Hydration, Nourish) put the spotlight on beauty, regeneration and hydration for the body, as well as emotional renewal for the soul. For example, the “Desert Rose Radiance” is an indulgent, head-to-toe pampering treatment that begins with a delightful rose exfoliation followed by a soothing aloe mask. The guests is then wrapped in a soft cocoon to enjoy a naturally lifting facial massage with prickly pear and pomegranate and ending with a hydrating massage application using the signature Desert Rose body lotion.
- New Spa Products, exclusively developed for the spa, include:
- Organic Garden a time to tip-toe through a garden planted with herbs and spices that is set in a dramatic desert rock with naturally flowing water and a reflection pond.
- Native American TiPi more of a personal time for private meditation, soul readings, or shamanic ceremonies. Guests may also choose to offer a meditation or “prayer bundle” before or after self-guided time.
- Labyrinth (Path to Wellness) a time for self-reflection as you walk around this labyrinth and focus on your soul.
- “Desert Zen” kits with Yuzu and Wild Jasmine-scented body wash, body oil, body lotion or Shea Butter cream.
- “Global Shaman” kits containing Vertiver and Blue Cypress body oil, body lotion, salt body polish and bath soaks.
- “Radiant Oasis” sets of Citrus and Desert Rose body lotion, Shea Butter cream Jojoba Sugar Scrub and Shea Butter hand cream.
The 33,000 square-foot full service spa provides an Zen-like oasis of tranquility highlighted by sweeping views of either the awe-inspiring 12-million-year-old boulder piles or Black Mountain in the distance. There are also meditation areas, hydrotherapy, a circular tea room and an interior rock and sand garden.
Check out the video for a good look at the vast Sonoran Desert.