To love, to be loved, and to give the gift of time is the best Valentine’s gift you can give to someone. Save your money and give the most precious gift of all—the gift of your time.
Here are 16 ideas to get you started:
- Engage in an extended conversation about why you love each other.
- Write your lover a note with three things you admire most about him or her.
- Treat her like a princess for a day – treat him like a king for a day.
- Upend expectancies—do something surprising, fun, different – something that is not normally expected (Hint: we are reminded of the long-time married woman who met her husband at the kitchen door after work with nothing on! Surprise, surprise!)
- Enjoy the warm pulsating water of a shower with your mate. What happens after that . . .
- Write an email telling your lover what you believe to be their greatest strength.
- Cook a special healthy dinner and serve it by candlelight.
- Have a conversation about your dreams for your spouse and your marriage.
- Take a long walk with your lover for Valentine’s Day.
- Turn on romantic music and go dancing in the kitchen.
- Don’t go to the movies, make your own romantic movie together.
- Forget the $60 bouquet of roses – instead paint or draw a bouquet or write a love note to your lover.
- Take a long walk together holding hands.
- Make time for romance and intimacy on Valentine’s Day.
- Read a romantic bedtime story to your lover.
- Shut off all electronics for Valentine’s Day – no phones, no cell phones, no computers, no PDA, no television – just the two of you.
You see, the best things in life are, indeed, free. In these tough economic times, people are looking to save money at every turn. And the truth is, love—true love—should never be about money. As they song says, “Money can’t buy you love.”
Our more than years of research on successful marriage has revealed to us that true love, true commitment, and truly successful relationships are based on many things, but how much money you spend on the one you love is never an indication of real love.
In life, love, and marriage, the most important gift you can give to the one you love is the gift of time. Why should Valentine’s Day be any different?
If you want to be sure your Valentine is really right guy for you, discover what happily married women know about what makes a man marriage material and other revealing truths in How to Marry the Right Guy.
By Dr. Charles and Dr. Elizabeth Schmitz
America's #1 Love and Marriage Experts