We think we have ventured into Eden. In going through the archives of Chef Larry Edwards looking for the ultimate winter soups, we found this. Think about this -- creamy cheddar cheese combined with ancho chili peppers and beer! This almost makes us wish winter would last all year!
Add some of the Chef's breads to this soup and you'll never want to leave the dinner table!
Ingredients needed to make Cheddar and Ancho Chili Beer Soup (serves 4):
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 ancho peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup beer
- 1 Tbs. hot sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a medium sauté pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, onion and garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Into a food processor or blender add the contents of the sauté pan and puree.
- Put the puree back into the sauté pan and over medium heat stir in the cheese until it melts.
- Stir in the beer and hot sauce until all is blended.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."