When is a side-dish perfectly sweetened and delightfully savory? When it is a whipped sweet potato dish made with fresh pears and topped with bacon. Not only is this wonderful to look at but the taste is unlike anything you have ever tried. The wonderful taste of the sweet potatoes are highlighted by the pears and complimented by the bacon.
Rather obviously, this is the perfect dish for this time of year as both sweet potatoes and pears are in season. As far as the bacon is concerned, you can use any variety but applewood smoked is our bacon of choice.
The reason we are pureeing this and not mashing, is the fact we want to add some air to the dish. Due to the the food processor's blade revolution speed, air will be added and the dish will be much lighter.
Ingredients needed to make Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Pears with Bacon (serves 4 as a side dish):
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and cubes
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 pound cooked bacon, chopped
- Into a pot of boiling salt water, add the sweet potatoes and cook until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and discard the cooking liquid.
- Place the potatoes into a food processor and puree.
- Once pureed, into the food processor add the pear, butter, cream and nutmeg and puree until smooth.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, top with bacon and serve.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.