If you have never experienced the taste of candied bacon, you are in for one very special treat. To take this taste treat to the extreme, Chef Larry Edwards has added his famed Southwestern touch. Simply put -- this is bacon like you have never tasted before!
This is also bacon like you have never prepared before but don't let that worry you. It is easy, decently quick (only 30 minutes to make) and sinfully scrumptious. As the bacon cools, it will become crispy due to the sugar coating solidifying.
So, from the Chef who gave the world Applewood Smoked Bacon Ice Cream and helped create the bacon rage in the cooking world, here is his latest: Southwest Candied Bacon!
Ingredients needed to make Southwest Candied Bacon (makes 1 pound):
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use a silicon sheet or foil).
- Separate the bacon into slices and set on a flat surface.
- In a bowl combine the brown sugar and chili powder.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar/chili powder mixture over both sides of the bacon. Let the bacon rest 5 minutes.
- Place the bacon, in a single layer, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place a sheet of foil over the bacon.
- Place another baking sheet over the foil (yes, it will be sitting on the bacon).
- Place in the oven and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Carefully remove the bacon from the pan and let sit at least 10 minutes before eating.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.