They're deaf and blind and long and short, but far from helpless.
Dachshunds, those long dogs with stubby bodies, think they're much bigger than they are. Ask anyone who has one. They are also fearless and loyal.
Read some of these classic and true stories about Dachshunds that are deaf and blind (and some have only three legs), and read some of the great things they've done.
They've saved families, they've warned of disasters and more.
I have a brave 17-year-old Dachshund named Rudi who is deaf and blind, but still going, and has fought of coyotes!
Do you know of any other great stories? Send us a link in the COMMENTs area.
Click on the stories below to the link of the actual story from all around the country.
* Tru the Dachshund, also three-legged, saves a baby and woman in Chickasha, Oklahoma.
* Alice, a survivor of a puppy mill in Houston, Texas. http://www.squidoo.com/whats-home-for-the-puppy-mill-rescue
* Ellie, the deaf and blind puppy from Seattle, Washington.
* Pongo & Perdita, from irresponsible breeding, in Texas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T26I8cubz8
* Rudolph, who visits schools in Detroit.
* Schwartz from Hartford, Conn. http://www.ohmidog.com/2009/11/30/deaf-and-blind-dachshund-follows-his-nose/
Do you know more? Tell us!