Chicken marsala is a decadent dish that is worth the effort to make. It is amazing served with garlic mashed potatoes.
You can find many different Marsala wines for this recipe at liquor barn in Lexington. Get a good Marsala wine, it makes a difference. A sweet wine is great in the sauce, but if you prefer a dry wine it would be great too.
The best chicken Marsala
4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup marsala wine
2 tablespoons sherry
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Combine 1/4 cup flour, dried thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish. Put the chicken breasts on the dish and cover each side with flour.
2. In a large pan add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the butter. Turn the stove to medium heat. Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine the butter and flour and set aside. In the same pan add the remaining olive oil. The the shallot and garlic and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown.
4. Add the marsala wine and let cook five minutes. Add the sherry, chicken broth and remaining salt and pepper. Whisk in the butter and flour mixture. Bring to a boil and let simmer 5-10 minutes.
5. Pour in the heavy cream stir and add more salt and pepper if needed. Put the chicken back in the pan. Serve with mashed red potatoes with garlic.