In the past couple of months I have conducted an experiment that I believe you will benefit from. I have been drinking Lemon Water. I am really a bad habit-keeper, if we can call it that. When it comes to being healthy, sometimes you must not cut corners. Now, lemon is one of those things that I really didn't like other than as a condiment in my cooking. I have to say, after this experiment I have a new passion for lemon - and I hope that even if you don't like lemon you will see that the benefits heavily outweigh the excuses that we may have for not liking our tangy citrus friend.
And what exactly are these health benefits? Well, first of all, lemon can be used for all manner of cleaning products. This citrus fruit has the potential to clear up anything from your skin to that nasty cold you've been harbouring for ages. Of course, while smelling great at all times.
1. Hydration. Finding yourself at a loss of drinking the required daily dosage of H2O? Well, lemon can become a great addition to your water and help in the taste area...if you don't like plain water, the lemon will help you drink more of it, keeping you hydrated in the long run.
2. Weight Loss. There are a variety of theories as to why lemon water might cause weight loss (including feeling more full from the pectin contained within). Though it hasn't been definitively proven, Fox News states that drinking lemon water will undoubtedly have fewer calories than drinking, well, anything else except for water.
3. Battle Cancer. I have to say, this is not FDA approved as a clinical route to curing cancer. However, lemons in distilled water becomes alkaline water. According to an article by Webster Kehr from the Independent Cancer Research Foundation, Inc., he states that "Ionized water is very alkaline (if your ionizer makes the water alkaline), has a high redox potential (i.e. it is a good antioxidant because its ORP value is very negative), and it has its water molecules in smaller clusters than normal water. All of these things help inhibit the spread of cancer and aid in killing cancer cells, directly or indirectly. However, there is not enough evidence to categorize it as a stand-alone treatment plan." - what is really helping rid the cancer is the oxygen that is carried through the water to your system.
4. Bad Breath Treatment. Of course, there's no way to avoid morning breath, but drinking lemon water can combat the bacteria in the mouth, according to Conscious Connection magazine, and therefore, lessen the potential for bad breath. Be careful, though — lemons can also erode the enamel on your teeth, so it's a good idea to rinse with plain water after your glass.
5. Stop Urinary Tract Infections. If you're seeking for a great preventative measure from UTI's, here's one - lemon water can help. According to "Ask a Naturopath", lemon changes the pH blood and the urinary tract so that harmful bacteria can't survive.
6. Skin Treatment. Lemons carry considerable amounts of Vitamin C. Your skin will reap the benefits of you drinking the fruit also. According to FITDAY, vitamin C assists in the production of collagen. Having more in your diet might prevent wrinkles from forming. It's like having the natural fountain of youth in a pitcher in your home. Of course, drinking lots of water is great for skin in general, so keep this in mind.
7. Immune System Stimulant. There's a reason why Orange Juice is the perfect drink when you're sick - here again - the power of Vitamin C! Consuming the vitamin daily through lemon water can help keep you healthy and prevent infections (from the World's Healthiest Foods).
8. Workout Recovery. When I would workout before, I would have a glass of a recovery shake from the latest sports nutrition shake program. When I found lemon water, the recovery shakes stopped, and in their place I now have a "natural recovery" hydrating system. Sports nutrition drinks are not needed for the types of exercise that most people do regularly (CBC). According to Best Health Magazine, this is the preferred drink of Canadian National Women's Hockey Team Captain, Hayley Wickenheiser.
9. Aches and Pains. My brother is merely in his early 20's and he suffers from constant joint pains, if this is you also, this might be your solution. According to Lilly Gold of Simply Healthy and Happy, she states that lemon water can help reduce inflammation through the reduction of uric acids in our joints, which happens to be one of the main causes of inflammation.
10. Liver Cleanse. As reported by LiverSupport.com, in Dr. Alexander F. Beddoe's Biological Ionization in Human Nutrition, he notes the liver can make more enzymes out of lemon juice than any other food. While we aren't advocating for an intensive cleanse (we know those are unnecessarily), this can help give your organ a boost.
There you are, 10 reasons why lemon water may be beneficial for you to drink on a daily basis.
I hope you find the answers to your health questions. If you have anything that you would like for me to discuss, please email me and I will write about it. I thank you for reading, and here's to your health!