Congratulations, you have built your website! However, now is not the time to sit back and relax. If you haven’t already, and I hope you have, it’s time to make a marketing plan for the site. Marketing is the key in all business, online or offline, and will be a foundation to your success. Taking the necessary steps to get your website noticed on the search engines is not a complex process, but it does take some knowledge, persistence, and consistency.
I am a huge advocate of blogging as many of my clients will tell you. Blogging is an excellent way to increase your search engine optimization therefore bringing traffic into your website. Blog posts that contain keyword-rich content will help your site rank higher in the search engines, although it may take some time for this to happen the more you blog the sooner it will be! Get your voice out there and be consistent.
- Write with your target audience in mind – What is it that your target market wants to read about? How are you able to solve their problems with your site or product?
- Engage your reader by asking them questions – The simple way to know what your readers want is to ask them. Make them want to leave comments and suggestions regarding your content. Once your audience feels like they can engage with you, trust begins to form and a solid relationship can be created.
- Clear, concise headlines – Make sure your readers know what your content is all about. Having a headline that centers on an issue the reader wants to know about will draw them in and make them want to know more from you. (SEO tip: your headlines should be coded H1 or H2)
- Call to action – Once you’ve written your inspiring content, make sure there is a call to action following the blog post. You can offer them something in return for signing up on your email list. This can be a free report, e-book, or set of articles that help them solve a problem. These can be paid offers occasionally but try to keep the sales pitches to less than 30%.
- Social networking –Social media is such a big part of online marketing in today’s world. If you want your website to get noticed you must become a part of a social community. You will be able to expand your readership, and gain a larger following. The reach that social media has is vast. This is not something you want to pass up when trying to build your business. (Social Media FYI – Currently top sites are Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn.)
- SEO – Optimize your website with keyword rich content. This can allow your ranking to be higher within the search engines. SEO is not something that can be learned overnight. It will take some time, effort, and patience on your part but it can be a helpful technique in getting your website noticed. (You may be interested in our ebook: Nuts and Bolts of Search Engine Optimization which you get FREE when you join our list.)
No matter what way you choose to market your site, just make sure to put your target audience at the forefront of everything you do. They have chosen you as a valuable source of information by even coming to your site and reading your content. Be transparent and unique in your delivery and you will be sure to build lifelong relationships with people that like and trust you.