This week: Abbey Road on the River, May 25-26, Louisville, KY, with the Beach Boys, John Sebastian, Laurence Juber, Ambrosia, Beatle tribute bands, Information: http://www.arotr.com
Your Beatles calendar for the week:
- Paul McCartney Out There! Tour: The tour is scheduled to resume June 14 in Lubbock, Texas. (Tickets for U.S. shows available here and here.)
- New York by Susan Ratisher Ryan, Fab 4 NYC Walking Tours,. Website: http://www.fab4nyctours.wordpress.com/.
- Los Angeles by Gillian Lomax's A Magical History Tour. Website: http://www.amagicalhistorytour.com.
- Liverpool by Jackie Spencer. Website: http://www.beatleguide.com.
- London walking tours by Richard Porter: http://www.beatlesinlondon.com.
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King's, New York City.
- Bootleg Beatles: May-June: Shows in the U.K., Australia, Thailand, Ireland. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Forever Fab, Pacific Beach Hotel, Waikiki Beach. 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Info: http://www.foureverfabshow.com/tickets.htm
- Liverpool Legends (with Louise Harrison): June 3-19, 21-28: Branson, MO. http://liverpoollegends.com/calendar.html
- The Fab Faux: May 30-31: Alexandria, VA. June 7: Boston, MA. June 14: Red Bank, N.J. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- Creme Tangerine: June 7: Kirkland, WA. http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times/ .
- Britain's Finest: June 7: Oklahoma City, OK. June 18: Buena Park, CA. June 20: San Diego, CA. June 26: El Paso, TX. Info: http://www.beatlestributeband.net.
- Laurence Juber: May 25: Abbey Road on the River. May 28: Vienna, VA. May 29: New Hope, PA. May 30: Bay Shore, N.Y. May 31: Washington, VA. More info: http://www.laurencejuber.com.
- Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles: June 10: Newark, N.J. June 11: Philadelphia, PA. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- The Fab Four: May 29: Glenn Allen, VA. May 31: Robinsonville, MS. June 8: Shelton, WA. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- 1964: The Tribute: May 25: Roanoke, VA. May 31: Johnson City, TN. Info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3589362-10881223
- San Diego County Fair, “Fab Fair,” June 7-July 6 celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Beatles in the U.S. Performances by British Invasion June 8, BritBeat June 12, The McCartney Years June 19, The Fab Four June 26 and Britain's Finest July 6. http://www.sdfair.com
- Beatles Japanese box set (http://amzn.to/1hYa4P7), June 25.
- The Best of the Beatles Symposium, June 26-27, Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool. Info: http://www.beatlesstory.com/business-beatles-symposium
- 50th anniversary screening of “A Hard Day's Night” with Pattie Boyd, July 6, Catalina Island Museum, CA. Info: http://tinyurl.com/knypowv.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Aug. 15-17, 2014, Chicago. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- Beatles Tribute Festival: July 4 – 5, 2014 at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts in Canada. Event website.
- Magical History Tour toLiverpool and London Aug. 17-24, 2014. Information: http://www.liverpooltours.com/.
- Bestfest: Aug. 23, Casbah Club, Liverpool. Info: www.petebest.com.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Oct. 10-12, 2014, Airport Marriott, Los Angeles. Information: http://www.thefest.com.
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
- Beatles history:
- May 26, 1969: John and Yoko bed-in begins in Montreal.
- May 27, 1943: Cilla Black, who, like the Beatles, was managed by Brian Epstein, born.
- May 30, 1964: #1 song, “Love Me Do.”
- May 31, 1969: #1 song, “Get Back.”
Beatles chart news:
On Billboard charts: In the Billboard for May 31, the Beatles "1" album is at #47, down from #39 the previous week.
50 years ago this week on the British charts:
Singles: On the chart of 5-23-64: “A World Without Love” by Peter & Gordon drops from #5 to #12. “Can't Buy Me Love” drops from #13 to #15. Ella Fitzgerald's version of “Can't Buy Me Love” jumps from #38 to #34.
Albums: “With the Beatles” still at #2. “Please Please Me” drops from #6 to #7.
50 years ago on the American charts:
- Singles from 5-16-64: “Love Me Do” moves from #3 to #2. Peter & Gordon's “A World Without Love” jumps from #30 to #10. “Do You Want to Know a Secret” drops from #5 to #12. “P.S. I Love You” jumps from #33 to #15. jumps from #33 to #15. “Twist and Shout” drops from #20 to #41. Debuts on the chart this week included “Yesterday's Gone” by Chad & Jeremy, “I Get Around” by the Beach Boys, “My Boy Lollipop” by Millie Small and “Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying” by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Bubbling Under the Hot 100: “Bad to Me” by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas at #120.
- LPs, from 5-9-64: “The Beatles Second Album” remains at #1. “Meet the Beatles!” drops from #2 to #3. “Introducing the Beatles” stays at #7. “The Beatles” (on MGM) drops to #146 from #106.
Last week's best Beatles stories:
- Beatles news: Abbey Road on the River day 3; new books; deluxe Julian set
- Liverpool tour guide bumps into longtime Beatles friend
- Ex-Wings highlight second day of Abbey Road on the River
- Beatles news: Beatles reunion at Candlestick?; McCartney health news; chart news
- Beatles news: Rock Hall tribute to Brian Epstein; Sean Lennon's S.F. guest
- Paul McCartney issues statement on illness, says he'll make compete recovery
- Report: Paul McCartney being treated in Japanese hospital
- Paul McCartney makes it official: South Korea concert postponed
- Beatles news: Paul McCartney health update; petition asks Hard Rock to back off
- Nurse says Paul McCartney should recover from virus by following doctor's orders
- Exclusive: Paul McCartney will postpone South Korea concert due to illness
- Paul McCartney postpones rest of Japanese Out There! shows because of illness
- Paul McCartney fan starts Facebook page for fans to post get well wishes
- Doctors force Paul McCartney to postpone both Tokyo shows
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, myself and Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” discuss the latest Beatles news topics. On the latest show on Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com, we talk about Paul McCartney's Out There tour and his recent health situation. “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturday and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and midnight ET/9 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can write to us at email@example.com.
- “Every Little Thing”: Wednesday: An all-acoustic Lennon set, and a chance to win Laurence Juber's book, "Guitar With Wings." The show airs Wednesday on WNHU, West Haven, CT, 8-10pm (est) and can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. More information at www.kenmichaelsradio.com.
- “Fab 4 Free 4 All”: Latest show: “Presenting the Beatles,” favorite album covers. Available on iTunes and at www.Fab4Free4all.com.
- “Beatle Brunch”: Beatles summer songs. Website: http://www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- "Magical Mystery Tour": Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Saturdays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx or http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcc.edu%2Fradio%2FPages...
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Steve Marinucci (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “Dennis Mitchell's Breakfast With the Beatles”: The 45th anniversary of the second Bed-In for Peace at Montreal, John & Paul’s appearance on “The Tonight Show” in 1968, and Ringo’s appearance with Johnny Carson in 1981. Show website: http://www.beatlesradioshow.com.
- “Chris Carter's 'British Invasion': Three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday. Feb. 9 show includes appearance by John Lennon impersonator Tim Piper.
- “Chris Carter's Breakfast With the Beatles”: June 1: Sgt. Pepper anniversary special with Peter Asher. On KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. PT Sunday. Website.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “I've Got a Beatles Podcast”: “John Lennon's 'Walls and Bridges.'” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” KCSN, 88.5 FM Northridge, CA at 10 am Pacific, 12 noon Eastern, and 6 p.m. London time. http://www.kcsn.org/listen/index.php
- “Breakfast With the Beatles": 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- “Now and Then": An hour of the Beatles at 8 p.m. ET Monday. The station's frequency is 88.9 FM and is located in the Philadelphia, PA/Southern NJ market. Available online at http://www.Z889.org.
- “Here There and Everywhere”: 6 to 9 a.m. PT Thursdays, KZSC-FM. Hosted by Michael Bryant. You can listen here.
- “On the Beat”: Excellent show hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside. Not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the '60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- "Sounds of the Sixties": Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the '60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- "Beatlesongs": Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. - 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: The show airs from 7 to 9 a.m. ET Sundays on WMGK-FM 102.9 and 7-9 a.m. PT on KSLX-FM 100.7 in Phoenix.
- “The Beatles Complete on Ukelele”: Weekly show featuring new version of Beatle song played on ukelele. Information: http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail?pid=51729
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- “Beatles Brunch” with Geoff Lloyd: Weekly Beatles show on Absolute Radio in the UK . Airs at 2200 GMT (6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT).
- "Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen": More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Live tracks by the Rutles. Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://beatlesandbeyond.homestead.com/contact.html .
Beatles radio stations:
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
Have a Beatles event you'd like added here? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with The Week Ahead in the subject.
Subscribe to us free (see button at top) for your daily Beatles news buzz. And you won't want to miss any of our complete and in-depth coverage of the Beatles, both group and solo, and our exclusive stories and interviews on all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner,George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Also, check out our new Monkees Examineror our Vintage Rock n' Roll Examiner or TV on DVD Examiner columns for all our other newscoverage.
Copyright Steve Marinucci. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Headlines with links, though, are fine and posting our links to Twitter and Facebook is much appreciated. Please hit the “like” button on Facebook if you like our work.
We're also Steve Marinucci on Facebook and Pinterest. And don't miss our weeklyBeatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available on iTunes, Podbean.com and Fab4Radio.com on the weekends.