Situated on almost an acre of land in the heart of Lahaina on the west side of Maui, The Banyan Tree is one of the oldest and largest Banyan Trees in the United States.
It's located on famous Front Street in the historic whaling town of Lahaina, and is one of Maui's most popular attractions for tourists, visitors, and those spending the day on Maui from a cruise ship. Planted in 1873, the Banyan Tree has become a historical landmark.
The Banyan Tree is tightly situated across from Lahaina Harbor, where most of Maui's water activities are based. It's also across the street from The Wharf Cinema Center, a multi-story shopping and restaurant complex popular with both tourists and locals.
"The Banyan Tree is one of Maui's most important landmarks," says Elizabeth Boney, a nearby elementary school teacher. "It's particularly beautiful at night and during the Christmas season, when there's thousands of lights shining in just one tree."
Staying on the west side of Maui? Planning a shopping and dining trip to Lahaina on the west side of Maui? Spend some time wandering under the Banyan Tree. It's a unique experience you won't want to miss!
The Banyan Tree Park
869 Front Street
Lahaina, HI 96761
Tripadvisor reviews are a great way to see what others think of the Banyan Tree in Lahaina.
Yelp reviews also offer insight into the Banyan Tree attraction on Maui.
Location & Parking.
The Banyan Tree Park is located off Hwy. 30 on the west side of Maui. Take Prison Street or Dickenson Street toward the ocean and you'll dead-end on Front Street. There is limited free parking around The Banyan Tree Park. There are several paid parking lots located on both sides of Dickenson Street, and it's a short 5 minute walk to the Banyan Tree historical site.
- Spend a late afternoon walking up-and-down Front Street, shopping in the many gift shops, art galleries, souvenir stores, and many restaurants. Visit Banyan Tree Park and then watch an awesome Maui sunset at the seawall.
- The Banyan Tree is next to the Lahaina Harbor. If you're taking a snorkel trip or going deep sea fishing, you will depart from this harbor. Spend some time walking under the Banyan Tree either before or after your excursion.
- Grab an ice cream cone or a cup of gelato and relax on a park bench under the Banyan Tree.
- One of Maui's best burger places is Cool Cat Cafe, directly across from Banyan Tree Park and inside The Wharf Cinema Center. It's a great place to eat and "people watch".
- The historic Pioneer Inn is across the street from Banyan Tree Park. There's also a nice restaurant with a view of both Lahaina Harbor and Banyan Tree Park.
- While walking along Front Street, enjoy a Hawaiian tradition with a shave ice at Ululani's Shave Ice. There are two locations along Front Street.
- Have a craving for chocolate? Visit Hawaii Fudge Company on Front Street for some of Hawaii's best fudge. They also sell the Hawaii Flavors of salt water taffy from Big Wave Taffy.
Travel, Top 10 Lists, Polls Only & Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian island of Maui is an incredible island to visit, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the "gateway" to Bangkok, one of the most visited cities in the world.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama's Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It's one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman's Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It's one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento's On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali' imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy's in Ka'anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui's Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe'o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A "must-see" beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui's top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii's largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui's Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob's or Boss Frog's.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There's nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve's Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle's magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS - Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui's Best Luau!
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.