Season 10 of “The Bachelorette” kicked off Monday night. In addition to introducing Andi Dorfman to her 25 potential love interests, the show also paid tribute to Eric Hill, one of the contestants who subsequently died as the result of accident after his time on the show was completed. The Washington Post reported on May 19 that the episode did not go off without a little drama from a past contestant, too.
The show opened with host Chris Harrison opened the show with a tribute to Eric Hill, who died from injuries he received in a paragliding accident after completing his filming. The death was widely reported and fans of the show wondered how the death would be handled within the confines of the show. As pictures of Eric enjoying his many world travels played out on the screen, Harrison said, "In the coming weeks, you'll see that Eric was a vibrant man. Every day, he impressed us with his passion and courageous spirit. He will be greatly missed. And we dedicate this season to him."
Afterward, there was an introduction to Andi Dorfman, the 27 year old prosecutor from Atlanta who gave up her career to take this bold step. Then the limos began to arrive. Here are the guys in the order in which they arrived at the Bachelor Mansion.
1. Marcus, 25, a sports medicine manager from Dallas, Tex. Andi pronounced him “hot" as he left to enter the mansion.
2. Chris, 32, a farmer from Arlington, Iowa
3. JJ, 30, a "pantsapreneur" from San Francisco, Calif.
4. Marquel, 26, a sponsorship salesman from Las Vegas, Nev.
5. Tasos, 30, a wedding event coordinator from Denver, Colo. He made an impression when he attempted to recreate the famous “Lover’s Bridge” tradition by bringing a padlock and key. The lock was placed on the fence around the Bachelor Mansion fountain and the key tossed into the waters as Andi and Tasos made a wish.
6. Cody, 28, a personal trainer from Chicago. This guy comes in, all buff, pushing his limo into the courtyard.
7. Steven, 30, a snowboard product developer from Encinitas, Calif.
8. Rudie, 31, an attorney from Long Beach, Calif., who uses legal humor to try to make a connection
9. Carl, 30, a firefighter from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
10. Jason, 35, an urgent care physician from Sturgeon Bay, Wis., who uses lame doctor humor to make an impression
11. Nick V., 33, a software developer from Chicago
12. Dylan, 26, an accountant from Boston
13. Patrick, 29, an advertising executive from Newport Beach, Calif. He comes on the scene and kicks a ball to Andi and assures her that while he loves soccer, he is nothing like the last soccer player she dated – a jab at Juan Pablo
14. Emil, 33, a helicopter pilot from Costa Mesa, Calif. This guy makes an impression by telling Andi that his name is pronounced like “anal” but with an “m”
15. Brett, 29, a hairstylist from Westminster, Pa. He’s the one in the previews who shows up with a lamp stolen from the hotel
16. Craig, 29, a tax accountant from Denver, Colo.
17. Ron, 28, a beverage sales manager from Memphis, Tenn
18. Bradley, 32, an opera singer from Holland, Mich.
19. Josh B., 29, a telecommunication marketer from Denver, Colo.
20. Nick S., 27, a pro golfer from Kissimmee, Fla. He skips the limo and arrives in a golf cart
21. Brian, 27, a basketball coach from Camp Hill, Pa.
22. Andrew, 30, a social media marketer from Culver City, Calif.
23. Mike, 29, a bartender from Alta, Utah
24. Eric, 31, an explorer from Citrus Heights, Calif. This guy gives Andi 2 dolls he got from a little girl on one of his trips. The girl told him to give them to his girlfriend. Sweet.
25. Josh M., 29, a former pro baseball player from Atlanta, Ga.
There was another guy who showed up…uninvited. Chris Bukowski, a former “Bachelorette” and “Bachelor Pad” star who appeared in 2012 during Emily Maynard’s season, wanted to meet Andi after watching her stand up to Juan Pablo Galavis during season 18 of “The Bachelor.” According to US Weekly, he camped outside the Bachelor Mansion for a week to meet her.
He tried to make his appearance during the cocktail party but was stopped by security. Chris Harrison spoke to him and then relayed the event s to Andi to let her make her own decision on whether he should be admitted. She ultimately decided it wasn’t fair to the other guys who came to meet her. Bukowski was turned away.
Back at the party, Andi has one-on-one meetings with the guys and tries to decide who gets the “first impression rose.” That honor eventually goes to Nick V. because she finds him genuine and sincere.
When it was time for the first rose ceremony, Andi thanked everyone for setting aside their lives and joining her there. Then she gave roses to JJ, Eric, Marquel, Craig, Tasos, Josh M., Brian, Bradley, Marcus, Andrew, Ron, Carl, Chris, Dylan, Brett, Patrick, Cody, and Nick S.
None of them men left out looked very happy. Josh B. took it particularly hard, calling the whole thing “stupid.” He told the camera that he’d "embarrassed the f--k out of [himself]" for one night where he "did nothing" and "accomplished nothing." Wow! Looks like Andi called that one right!
“The Bachelorette” will be back next Monday with another episode and the first one-on-one dates. Who do you think Andi will pick?