It's spring! It'll soon be summer. You're going to be wallowing in your own sweat. You're going to be so hot pollywogs are going to be hatching in your shoes. Your hair is going to friz and your make-up is going to run to the point people will think they are having an acid trip. So, what do you do? Eat a damn salad!
Seriously, think about it. Is there anything more refreshing than a fresh garden salad? I'll answer that question. No! Not only are salads refreshing, they also replenish your body with needed nutrients. Out here in the great American Southwest salads are not just a bunch of greens tossed on a plate and topped with sludge. Out here, we take our salads seriously!
Ingredients needed to make Sunburst Salad (serves 2):
- 1 pound Swiss chard
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- pickled beets, julienned
- Into a saute pan of boiling water add the chard and cook for a few minutes. Remove the chard and cool under cold running water.
- Into the saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, salt and pepper and saute 5 minutes (depending on the size of the shrimp).
- Squeeze all the liquid from the chard and mound in the middle of serving plates.
- Frame the chard with the sliced tomatoes and intersect with julienned pickled beets.
- Place the shrimp atop the chard, drizzle with the garlic oil and pig-out!
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."