Remember the line from the Wizard of Oz which goes: "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" Well in the case of this sweet favorite from Chili you can shout with glee: "Mango and papaya and kiwi, oh my!" This may be considered, in culinary terms, a salad but the fact of the matter is, it is a wonderful dessert too!
I love the taste of the tropics and this naturally sweet salad certainly is all that and then some. You have three tropical fruits which greatly compliment each other and then you toss them with a simple lime juice and raw honey. The acidity of the lime juice brings out even more of the natural taste of the fruit (and keeps it vibrantly colorful) and the sweetness of the raw honey accentuates each bite of the fruit.
Ingredients needed to make Chilean Sweet Fruit Salad (serves 4):
- 4 mangoes, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 papaya, skinned, seeded and cubed
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbs. honey
- In a medium bowl combine and toss the mangoes, papaya and kiwis.
- Grate the zest from the lime and place in a small bowl. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl with the zest.
- Stir the honey into the lime juice and zest.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit, toss to coat and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook" is now available worldwide and features 80 dishes from the era of the most acclaimed television show in the history of PBS, Downton Abbey.