This is one of my favorite Asian salads because it is both sweet and spicy and to top it off, it has that great crunch and the taste of raw beansprouts. The sweetness of the salad comes from the hoisin sauce (which you can find in the Asian section of your local market). The spicy comes from the Chinese hot chili oil (be careful with this, it is very hot). This is really what a salad is all about -- various tastes, textures and freshness.
If you like shrimp and the exotic tastes of Asia, then Asian Sizzling Shrimp Salad will make this meal one to remember!
Ingredients needed to make Asian Sizzling Shrimp Salad (serves 2):
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
- 1 tsp. Chinese chili oil
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- beansprouts (amount depends on you)
- Rinse the shrimp under cold running water. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a wok or saute pan over medium high heat, combine the chili oil, sesame oil and olive oil.
- Carefully add the shrimp to the wok and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Into the wok add the hoisin sauce and soy sauce and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and sesame seeds and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and place upon a mound of beansprouts and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."