THE TASTE will be taking over Paramount Pictures Studios from Friday, August 30, 2013 through Sunday, September 1, 2013. The Los Angeles Times has recently announced the rock star roster of chefs, bartenders and restaurants participating in the annual Labor Day weekend celebration of the Southern California culinary scene. Each of the five unique events will showcase the people, eats and trends at the heart of L.A.’s dining scene along with unlimited tastings and specialty cocktails:
Opening Night Presented by Tequila Don Julio - Friday, August 30, 2013 from 7:30pm to 11:30pm
- The festivities start on a high note with a special soirée attended by all TASTE event hosts and many of the weekend’s participating chefs and bartenders. All will join the party on the backlot to enjoy a premium collection of tastings, distinctive cocktail and wine offerings as well as live entertainment. Restaurants will include Bagatelle, Bedford and Burns, Candela Taco Bar & Lounge, Carson House, Coco Laurent, Firefly, Fishing With Dynamite, La Sandía, Lotería Grill, Manhattan Beach Post, Pizzeria Mozza, Oliverio at Avalon Hotel, STK, Taberna Arróz Y Vi, and THE Blvd at Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
Field to Fork - Saturday, August 31, 2013 from 11am to 3pm
- Hosted by Russ Parsons, Times Food Editor, and Michael Cimarusti, Chef/Owner of Providence, Chef/Partner of Connie and Ted’s and spotlighting seasonal and sustainable dining, this event will feature demos by Ari Taymor (Alma), Sherry Yard (Helms Bakery), Ray Garcia (FIG), and Cimarusti, who will also participate in a panel, “Fish or Famine: Sustainability & the Seafood on Your Plate” with Parsons moderating. Wine experts will share tips for pairing the perfect glass with locally-sourced dishes at two tasting sessions. Participating restaurants include Canelé, DOMA, Farmshop, good girl dinette, Hamasuku, Michael’s on Naples, Momed, Mr Chow, Muddy Leek, Nobu, Pizza Antica, RivaBella, Sun Café Organic, and The Curious Palate.
Flavors of L.A. - Saturday, August 31, 2013 from 7:30pm to 11:30pm
- Hosted by Jonathan Gold, Times Restaurant Critic, and Sang Yoon, Chef/Owner of Father’s Office and Lukshon and paying homage to everything that makes the Southland a world-class dining destination starting with a compelling look at “The Power of Pop-ups” led by Gold with Gary Menes (Le Comptoir), Craig Thornton (Wolvesmouth) and Nguyen Tran (Starry Kitchen). Cooking demos from Yoon, Brooke Williamson (Hudson House/The Tripel), Bryant Ng (Spice Table), Josef Centeno (Baco Mercat/Bar Ama) and a mixology session with Robin Chopra (Corazón y Miel) will round out the locally-flavored programming. Participating restaurants include 800˚ Degrees, Angelini Osteria, Border Grill, Bulgarini Gelato, Chakra Indian Cuisine, Chichén Itzá, City Tavern, Mayura, Meals by Genet, Pinches Tacos, Wood & Vine.
Labor Day Block Party - Sunday, September 1, 2013 from 11am to 3pm
- Hosted by Noelle Carter, Times Test Kitchen Director, and Nancy Silverton, Chef/Co-Owner of Osteria Mozza and Pizzeria Mozza and will offer an inside look at barbecue with “Going Whole Hog: Tales from Masters of Competition BBQ,” a panel led by Carter that features Ryan Chester (The Rub Co.), Sylvia Curry (Lady of Q) and Neil Strawder (Bigmista’s Barbecue). Attendees will also be treated to cooking demos from Silverton and Fred Eric (D’Elish), and Times Columnist Steve Lopez’s crowd-pleasing Firehouse Cook-off. Participating restaurants include Bibigo, BOA Steakhouse, Brite Spot, Café Gratitude, Coni’Seafood, Freddy Smalls: Bar & Kitchen, Got Kosher?, Haven Gastropub, Juan’s Restaurante, Kings Row Gastropub, Pizzeria il Fico, Pono Burger, Rosebud Cakes, and Waffles de Liege.
Cocktail Confidential - Sunday, September 1, 2013 from 7:30pm to 11:30pm
- Hosted by Betty Hallock, Times Deputy Food Editor, Jessica Gelt, Times Food & Night Life Writer, and Cocktail Chef Matthew Biancaniello Blurring the lines between cooking and bartending, the final evening will center on a farm-to-glass craft cocktail demo presented by Hallock, Gelt and Biancaniello. Taking it a step further, some of L.A.’s boldest pairs, John Sedlar and Julian Cox (Rivera) and Kuniko Yagi and Brandyn Tepper (Hinoki & the Bird), will share their inspiration for food and drink combinations. Participating restaurants include Chi Lin, Cliff’s Edge, Jitlada, L&E Oyster Bar, Manhattan Beach Creamery, Mexikosher, The Pub at Golden Road Brewing, Stella Barra, The Cake Mamas, The Corner Door, The Counter, The Park Restaurant, Worldwide Tacos, and Zengo.
Plan now, come hungry, and don’t let the party start without you! It’s going to be a blast!
- Tickets start at $65 and LA Times members save 20%.