Started in 2006 as little more than a panel on Women+Film, VOICES Film Festival has grown exponentially into a full-fledged event. Inspired by International Women's Day, VOICES' goal is to bring more awareness and appreciation of women right here to Denver. As such, the festival presents a creative program full of women-centric documentaries, features, and short films.
Scheduled for March 18-23 of this year, the SIE Film Center will host VOICES' week-long series of events, including a select number of special guests who will lead cerebral discussions on women across the world, and within the film industry.
A full program of events will be released on the 18th, but right now, mobile phone filmmakers are invited to submit their films for the Mobile Film Fest portion of VOICES. The deadline is 5pm on March 3. The entry form can be found online. Guidelines are as follows:
- create a film on a mobile device (iPhone, Android, iPod Touch, iPad, etc.)
- must NOT exceed two minutes in duration
- use editing software of choice
- highly encouraged to use external mics, wide-angle lens, tripod, dolly, etc.
- misuse of copyrighted material NOT PERMITTED
- tag lines “Use your voice for change,” or “Our voices can make a difference,” must be used
Contest evaluations will be performed by a jury from The MacSpa. The Top 20 winning films will be screened as part of the short films series during VOICES Film Fest.
Interested in helping out at VOICES? Visit the Denver Film Society's website for details and contact information. Volunteers are appreciated to help spread the word about the festival, and with various operations tasks throughout the event.
2014 Sponsors for the Women+Film VOICES Film Festival include:
- Women+Film Founding – Barbara Bridges
- Presenting – Sheila K O'Brien, International Career Counseling
- Associate – Argonaut Wine & Liquor
- W+F Year Round – Peepers Optical, The Women's Foundation of Colorado
- Individual Film – Zonta Club of Denver, Girls Inc. of Denver, The Institute for Women's Studies and Services of Metro State College, Stephanie Bruno Wealth Manager, Wells Fargo
- Group – Book Babes
- Contributing – The MacSpa
- Media – Denver Life Magazine, GirlTalkHQ.com, Dandizettemagazin.com
- Friends – Athena Project Festival