Everybody uses maps differently, but combining maps with sense of humor is a great way to share information. Just showing things in a non-traditional way can open people’s eyes to all sorts of things.
There are basically two kinds of maps: directional maps and informational maps.
Shoppers use directional maps to find where they are going shopping. They log on to Google Maps, and say, “That’s right, the store is on the right side of Ridge Road past the mall.” If you’re on a backpacking trek through the Adirondack wilderness, you might use topographical maps to navigate your way. The maps look different, but they serve the same purpose.
And then there are maps that show us how things happened. Think of the big maps at Gettysburg or Yorktown, or the maps in high school history books that show the westward expansion of the United States.
Twisted Sifter’s 40 Maps That Will Help You Make Sense of the World all have a different way of looking at things than we’re used to seeing, and that’s what makes them so incredibly funny.
My personal favorite is Map #3, The Only 22 Countries in the World Britain Has Not Invaded. The map is based on research which shows that Britain has invaded virtually every country in the world during its long and dubious history.
Because of World War I and World War II, many Americans tend to think of the Brits as the good guys. But the map shows why there are so many people in the world who view the Brits as the bad guys,
Here’s the complete list of maps on the website.
- Where Google Street View is Available
- Countries That Do Not Use the Metric System
- The Only 22 Countries in the World Britain Has Not Invaded
- Map of ‘Pangea’ with Current International Borders
- McDonald’s Across the World
- Paid Maternal Leave Around the World
- The Most Common Surnames in Europe by Country
- Worldwide Driving Orientation by Country
- Map of Time Zones in Antarctica
- Global Internet Usage Based on Time of Day
- The World’s Busiest Air Routes in 2012
- Visualizing Global Population Density
- Flag Map of the World
- Map of Alcohol Consumption Around the World
- Map of Alcoholic Drink Popularity by Country
- Map of Rivers in the Contiguous United States
- US Map of the Highest Paid Public Employees by State
- World Map of Earthquakes Since 1898
- Map of Where 29,000 Rubber Duckies Made Landfall After Falling off a Cargo Ship in the Middle of the Pacific Ocean
- Map of Countries with the Most Violations of Bribery
- World Map of Vegetation on Earth
- Average Age of First Sexual Intercourse by Country
- If the World’s Population Lived in One City
- The Number of Researchers per Million Inhabitants Around the World
- Worldwide Map of Oil Import And Export Flows
- The 7000 Rivers that Feed into the Mississippi River
- World Map of the Different Writing Systems
- Worldwide Annual Coffee Consumption Per Capita
- The Economic Center of Gravity Since 1 AD
- The World Divided Into 7 Regions, Each with a Population of 1 Billion
- Earth’s Population by Latitude and Longitude
- Map of Contiguous United States Overlaid on the Moon
- Frequency of Lightning Strikes Throughout the World
- Overall Water Risk Around the World
- The Most Dangerous Areas in the World To Ship Due to Pirates
- Area Codes in Which Ludacris Claims to Have H*es (song reference)
- Where 2% of Australia’s Population Lives
- The Longest Straight Line You Can Sail on Earth (Pakistan to Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia – 20000 miles)
- Map of Europe Showing Literal Chinese Translations for Country Names
- Reversed Map with Southern Hemisphere at Top of Map (because position of North is arbitrary)