Benchmark Chrysler/Dodge & Fiat of Birmingham
The Twentieth Annual Whistle Stop Festival
Saturday, September 24th, 2011
Historic Irondale’s Twentieth Annual Whistle Stop Festival will kick off on Friday night with Irondale’s National Night Out, featuring live music by the Charlie Soul Band.National Night Out is a yearly event to encourage greater cooperation between police and communities.
Saturday morning, the Whistle Stop Festival is sponsoring the Exchange Walk for Health. The walk to raise health awareness begins at the First Baptist Church of Irondale and concludes at the Main Stage in time for the festival’s 9am start.
The Whistle Stop Festival annually brings a wide variety of food, crafts, music and other activities to Irondale’s Historic District.
Fun activities for children and adults include outdoor games, a video arcade and live college football on a projection screen.
The Whistle Stop Main Stage, sponsored by the Greater Irondale Chamber of Commerce, will host several bands including Mile Marker 7, The Tame Dogs, The Hurlers and Dikki Du & the Zydeco Krewe featuring the ACME Zydeco Dancers. The evening will culminate with a fireworks display presented by Pyro Productions, Inc.
2011 attractions include:
- Video Arcade in the Liberty Centre from Goodfellas Gaming.
- Vintage Cars outside the Irondale Cafe from 11am to 3pm.
- Pony Rides, bouncers and moonwalks for the kids.
- The Exchange Walk for Health, registration starts at 7am at The First Baptist Church of Irondale.
- Smoke City Rails Model Railroad Club inside City Hall.
- Vintage Fire Engines from Southern Vintage Fire Apparatus Association.
- Zydeco Dancing by the Association for Cajun Music Enthusiasts (ACME) 7pm to 10pm in front of the Main Stage.
- The Irondale Public Library will be hosting its 3rd Annual Whistle Stop Book Sale from 9am to 4pm.
- The Irondale Cafe will be open and serving festival-goers from 11am to 2:30pm. A shuttle will be on the festival site to take attendees from the festival on the south side to the cafe on 1st Ave. North.
- The Greater Irondale Chamber of Commerce will be holding 2 raffles. Stop by our tent and buy your ticket for $1 to win an Insignia LED 32″ TV or an Amazon Kindle. Winners will be announced before the Fireworks show but you do not have to be present to win.
2011 Main Stage Schedule:
Master of Ceremonies - Donny Patrick
9am - Zumba Dance
10am – Mettahoops and Hoop For Fitness Hoopers
11am - Devyani Dance Company
12pm - The Tame Dogs
1:30pm - The Hurlers
3:15pm - Once in a Lifetime
5pm - Mile Marker 7
7pm - Dikki Du & the Zydeco Krewe (set 1)
8:15pm - Fireworks Show presented by Pyro Productions, Inc.
8:30pm - Flaming Hula Hoops from Mettahoops
8:45 - Dikki Du & the Zydeco Krewe (set 2)