Summer is almost over, and Matsuricon intends to enjoy every minute of it! With a great classic Nintendo theme this year, gamers from Ohio (and beyond!) should all find activities to their liking at this Columbus, Ohio convention.
Focusing on anime, manga, and video games, this weekend-long event is family-friendly. Though there are programs focused on those 18 and older, they are specified as such and IDs checked accordingly. While not as large as many other cons, Matsuricon has been growing steadily since its annual debut in 2006 and offers plenty to keep guests returning. THE convention staples will be there – a dealer’s room chock-full of interesting merchandise and an artist’s alley featuring plenty of artist’s works for sale.
There will also be a gaming room which will contain an array of interesting titles. Dancing games are always popular, and the following were listed on the Matsuricon website:
- Dance Dance Revolution X3
- Dance Dance Revolution Extreme
- Pop N Music Sunny Park
- DJMAX Technika 3
- Pump It Up Infinity
- Taiko no Tatsujin 13
Not the rhythmic type? Not to worry. There are plenty of gaming tournaments on the itinerary:
- Mario Kart Super Circuit (Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart Double Dash, & Mario Kart Wii)
- Smash Bros Master Class (Super Smash Bros, Super Smash Bros Melee, & Super Smash Bros Brawl)
- Best of the Best: Shadoloo Showdown (Street Fighter II (Edition TBD), Street Fighter Alpha, & Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition)
- BlazBlue Continnum Shift (PS3)
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
- Mortal Kombat 9
- Injustice: Gods Among Us
- CoD Black Ops 2 Zombie Survival (Map TBD)
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3)
They also promise a few gaming surprises to go with the classic NES theme!
In addition to many great guests (including many great video game voices), there will be a cosplay contest and masquerade, showcasing fantastic costumes and entertaining skits. There will also be a Formal Ball for those who would like a classy dancing experience (proper attire required!). The rave this year is called the “Retro Dance” in honor of the “old school tunes” that will be spinning – don’t forget the glow sticks!
This year’s Matsuricon is not to be missed! Stop out and finish off summer with a fun, engaging event this weekend at the Hyatt-Regency in Columbus, Ohio!