With summer come the great songs that make summer so much better. While some songs were written specifically for summertime, others songs simply have a lyric or musical sound that gives the freedom of a great summer day. With that in mind, this list is a compilation of the greatest summer songs that Americans have enjoyed over the years as performed by their original artists in video-recorded form (on YouTube).
While most of the songs listed have the uplifting feel of a great summer afternoon and are associated with the summer months, there are some songs listed that are more sultry and reminiscent of the lyricists’ wantings for summers gone by. From the rock, pop, and R&B charts, here are 20 of the all-time best summer songs to be enjoyed over and over again – especially from Memorial Day through Labor Day in the USA, which are unofficially the days of summer.
To view the video and hear the summer song, click on the song titles.
20 All-Time Favorite Summer Songs
- Summertime: Billy Stewart
- Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer: Nat King Cole
- Summertime Blues: Eddie Cochran
- School’s Out: Alice Cooper
- Summertime, Summertime: The Jamies
- Vacation: Connie Francis
- A Summer Song: Chad and Jeremy
- Summer of 69: Bryan Adams
- Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini: Bryan Hyland
- Summer in the City: The Lovin’ Spoonful
- Hot Fun in the Summertime: Sly and the Family Stone
- In the Summertime: Mungo Jerry
- California Girls: Beach Boys
- Heat Wave: Martha and the Vandellas
- Summer Breeze: Seals and Crofts
- Wipe Out: Surfaris
- Surf City: Jan and Dean
- Dancing in the Street: Martha and the Vandellas
- Endless Summer Nights: Richard Marx
- Saturday in the Park: Chicago
The songs listed are a culmination of an analysis of many online summer-song charts from various music-related websites. The rank order of the songs that made the list is, for the most part, subjective.