If you’re one of the many people who had at least one New Years resolution involve losing weight and developing a healthier start to 2014, you may be considering some type of detox program. You would not be at a loss for finding one because needless to say, there are many to choose from. In fact, there are so many, the task may actually seem overwhelming and confusing, not to mention quite costly and extreme.
But there is hope. There are quite a few things that you can choose to do naturally to give your body a great quick step toward detoxing itself naturally without confusion, without the high cost and without putting your body through a harsh and drastic ordeal.
The human body is quite miraculous, and one of the amazing things it does quite naturally as designed, without any special bells and whistles, is detox and cleans itself. Although we close our eyes and sleep (hopefully every night) our body’s systems keep working to do their thing, non-stop, through day and night. But there are some things we can do to aid our body in the process and help ourselves kick start the year into healthier eating exercising habits.
One thought is to follow this system for two weeks and see how it works for you and how you feel. Then you can decide if you would like to continue with it or modify it.
* Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate - Enough can’t be said about the significance of keeping your body hydrated properly so that it can function at its best – not only in regard to weight loss, but to overall health and well-being. Here are a few steps built around your body’s staying hydrated and eliminating hydration properly and how it fits into your natural detox regime.
A healthy color for urine is pale yellow. If you find it is darker, then you need to increase your hydration. Don’t forget that fruits and many vegetables are mostly water, experts say more than 5 helpings daily can help boost your natural intake of water.
If you enjoy caffeine, happy day– detoxing and cleansing doesn’t mean eliminate it, just moderately. Experts suggest you keep the caffeine intake to less than 300 mg daily which translates into two large cups of coffee or six cups of tea daily.
Alcohol, even a glass of red wine, is not your friend during this process. Alcohol is high in calories, tends to lower your resolve to keep to healthier food choices and dehydrates the body. Sorry, but when any substance earns three strikes, we have to say “you’re better without.”
• Sweat it Out – Sweating is the body’s way of eliminating excess body salts. If you can manage to accomplish it daily, your body will thank you.
• Go au Natural - It may take a bit of getting used to, but opt for sugar free and sugar-free free eating. Even no-cal sweeteners satisfy the body’s craving for sweets at a high level. Let fruit in its natural state of sweetness be the way to satisfy the desire for sweets.
This goes for eliminating processed and prepared foods that harbor lots of hidden sweets, fats and calories.
• Fiber Friendly Foods – provide exercise for your gut but not too much 3 to 4 grams per serving with 15 to 20 percent of your daily intake is fine and just what the ‘detox doctor’ ordered to keep your digestive tract doing what digestive tracts do.
• Your Body at Rest – Stress is one of the worst enemies to practically every aspect of proper and good health and this is no exception. Finding more appropriate ways to handle stressful situation, like practicing mindful relaxation or stress-reducing techniques will help your cleansing and detox efforts. Learning to take a deep breath to regain your composure is something that you will feel the benefits of in many ways.
Along with stress-reduction comes the need for restful sleep. No less than seven hours a night. This is when our body rejuvenates and recharges. Don’t minimize how important proper and consistent sleep is. Don’t shortchange your body of its much needed activity-free time.
Staying on Track
The benefits will abound. The interplay with less stress BECAUSE of how healthy you are being and how much easier it is to keep on track with your eating and exercise goals because your body will be better rested and more energized are truly amazing.
Give yourself two weeks and please, let me hear how you feel!