Ancient Thai massage is an interesting combination of Bodywork that combines Reflexology, Acupressure, muscle stretching, compression, Yoga, uses no oils and the client lies flat on the floor, and in a rhythmic rocking motion. The therapist uses their feet, arms, and elbows on the client, not just their hands; but is never painful. Clients remain fully dressed while being worked on. Massage techniques are influenced by traditional medicine of China, Southeast Asia, and India.
Thai massage dates backs to over 2,500 years ago. The founder, Shivaga Komarpaj was a doctor and widely believed a friend of Buddha. Ancient medical texts have been found in Bangkok that were carved of stone. In Thailand, a day's work includes lots of strenuous activities leaving the body sore and achy. Parents teach their children massage techniques that have been passed down through generations to help relieve the pain. Traditionally the people of Thailand would get together and visit, exchanging massage techniques. That’s how it has gained influence from their Asian neighbors.
Benefits of Thai Massage include:
● Heightened Awareness
● Nervous System Stimulant
● Relaxes Muscles
● Relieves Pain
● Increases the Body's Ability to Absorb Nutrients
● Strengthening and Rejuvenating
● Improves Circulation
● Increases Flexibility
● Balance the Mind, Body, and Spirit by Giving a Greater Sense of Well-being
● Detoxing Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally
Thai massage can especially be helpful in relieving migraine headaches, back pain, numbness, whiplash pain, arthritis, paralysis, sciatica, and other conditions. Many people claim it’s the best massage they’ve ever had.
All message types including Thai massage can have contraindications and harmful side effects if a person has other existing health conditions. If you are going to get any kind of message let the therapist know before hand any underlying health conditions you have, so extra care can be used to prevent injury. Health conditions that a therapist would need to be aware of include:
● Heart Problems, Deficiency, or Hypertonia
● Bone Diseases including Osteoporosis
● Wounds or Skin Conditions
● Prosthetic Limbs or Joints
● Alcohol Intoxication
● Infectious Diseases
● Any Surgeries in the Past Year or Areas of Scar Tissue
Massage Salons can be a topic for controversy because of widespread claims of using Thai Massage techniques are not fully substantiated with accurate training. If you're looking to make an appointment with a Thai massage salon, these are some of the top rated places to visit.
● Wat Pho located in Bangkok is the most famous place in the area for a traditional Thai massage. Prices start at around $68. for a full body and foot massage lasting two and half hours.
● LA Villa Thai located in Paris remains the largest traditional Thai massage parlor in the area. La Villa Thai has a great well-known reputation for being clean and classy. Prices start at around $150. for an hour and a half aroma massage.
● Royal Thai Massage in Los Angeles, CA has great recommendations and very reasonable prices and gives regular 20% discounts for walking in before 2pm.