The Texas Veterans Commission in partnership with the city of Austin has announced the 15th annual veterans summit for February 2013. The summit will include claims, employment and education clinics, grants training and a number of seminar including entrepreneurship and women veterans seminars.
The summit is scheduled for February 11-13, 2013 at the Palmer Events Center in Austin Texas.
Below is a lineup of what you can expect from the summit:
Monday, February 11, will feature a number of exciting events:
- A Veteran Entrepreneur Seminar from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. will provide information on funding sources, mentors, marketing strategies, securing federal contracts and more for Veteran Entrepreneurs.
- An informational meeting from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on the latest Fund for Veterans' Assistance grant solicitation (Series XIII-A) that opens on January 25, 2013.
- Fund for Veteran Assistance (FVA) training for non-profit organizations and Veterans Service Organizations that provide services to Texas Veterans and their families that will feature two workshops: (1) Planning for Program Evaluation and Grant Reporting; and (2) Understanding Strategic Alliances: A Continuum.
- A Women Veterans "Get-to-Work" Seminar & Workshop from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. that will focus on personal finances, budgeting, community service programs, employment, and education.
Tuesday, February 12, is the official start of the Summit:
- The Opening Session and Keynote will begin at 8:00 a.m. and will offer insights from our elected officials and others who advocate on behalf of Texas Veterans and their families.
- After the opening session, there will be a series of general session events including a panel of the State Strike Force Fully Developed Claims Teams authorized by Governor Rick Perry, Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst and Speaker Joe Straus that are helping Texas Veterans with disability claims currently pending in the backlog of claims at U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs; an industry employer panel; a Veteran education benefits panel; and a women Veterans panel.
- Other breakout sessions will focus on claims, employment, education, women Veterans, Veteran entrepreneurship and business ownership, criminal justice, mental health, and social media.
- At 1:00 pm, the Veterans Expo opens and will include state, local, and federal government agencies, Veterans' organizations, not-for-profit organizations, schools and companies that provide Veteran-specific services which assist Veterans and their families.
- The Texas Coalition of Veterans Organizations will meet from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The City of Austin will sponsor a reception from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
The Summit will continue at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, February 13:
- There will be Mainstage panels featuring state legislators and Federal legislative staff.
- There will be breakout sessions on Veterans Courts, housing, mental health, property tax, media, and outreach.
- The Summit will conclude with a closing session from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., which will feature Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst as a keynote speaker.
- From 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., there will be a Veterans Expo and Clinic.
This and more information can be found on the Texas Veterans Commission website.