Obamacare may be “settled law” and, therefore, inviolate, but other laws apparently aren’t as ironclad. Take HB 308, aka the Merry Christmas Law, signed into law in Texas earlier this year by Gov. Ricl Perry. The law makes it permissible for students and staff at schools in the Lone Star State to say "Merry Christmas," "Happy Hanukkah," and similar holiday greetings.
But Nichols Elementary School, in Frisco, is thumbing its nose at the law. An email sent out to parents informs them of three rules of conduct it intends to enforce at this year’s “winter party. There will (1) no reference to Christmas or any other religious holiday, (2) no red or green or Christmas trees, and (3) nothing will stain the carpet.
Republican State Representative Pat Fallon, who co-authored HB 308, told My Fox DFW that he agrees with number three, but not one or two.
"We're celebrating Christmas, so why can't it be a Christmas party or maybe a holiday party?" said Fallon. "But they've skipped over ‘holiday' and go to ‘winter.' That's political correctness gone too far."
After the story made headlines, the party organizers at first caved, but then quickly reinstituted the no-holiday-greetings posture. A PTA member sent an email reading:
Today at the PTA meeting it was stated that they had decided to keep everything the same. She said they didn't want to offend any families and since each family donates money they feel this is the best policy.
One parent said that the school is very diverse, but the rules don't make sense.
Parent Rosie Ciullo told Fox that the school is “very diverse” but that the ban doesn't make sense.
The kids that [sic] are used to saying Christmas. They should be able to say ‘Merry Christmas,' and the one who doesn't want to say ‘Merry Christmas,' don't say it -- say it your way.
This week, Texas Values, a conservative group, released a radio ad as a holiday reminder of the new law. The spot is running in the four largest media markets in the state, and closes with the voice of a child saying, "And remember, it's OK to say ‘Merry Christmas."
- Breaking: Eating peanut butter is (still) racist!
- UCLA grad students protest ‘racist’ spelling corrections
- School gives children opportunity to explore other religions (and they better take it or else!)
- FBI Hate Crime statistics inflate the number of white offenders
- Who’s ready for gender-neutral pronouns?
- Group of black teens brutally beats store owner with skateboards: MSM omits race in its coverage
- Redskins, shmedskins: Palestinians name soccer teams after suicide bombers
- PA students get sent to principal for banning ‘Redskins’
- Redskinsgate: Daily News political cartoon equates team logo to swastika
- For Slate mum’s the word (when it comes to the Washington Redskins)
- Journalist upset real Indians aren’t offended by ‘Redskins’
- Congress vexed about name Washington ‘Redskins’ (again)
- Politically correct new team names for the Washington Redskins
- Black Redskins QB deemed ‘not one of us’ by black ESPN analyst
- ESPN mouth breather: Why do we play National (aka ‘War’) Anthem before games?