Skip to main content

See also:

Tenth Presbyterian Church: A History of Hope in Center City West

Byzantine influence greets worshipers at Tenth Presbyterian
Tenthpresbyterian.org

Tenth Presbyterian Church, located at 17th and Spruce Streets in Philadelphia, is home to a congregation that wants to spread the good news of the Gospel to a broken world.

Originally located at the corners of 12th and Walnut, the church was founded in 1829 and was the tenth Presbyterian Church established in the city of Philadelphia. The church thrived early and as the city expanded it opened a "daughter" church, West Spruce Presbyterian Church, at the church's current Center City location in 1857. The two churches merged in 1893 under the original churches name, Tenth Presbyterian Church.

Since relocating to the Center City West area the congregation has maintained a strong presence of ministry and leadership throughout the neighborhood.

Through its "ACTS" (Active Compassion Through Service) ministry, Tenth Presbyterian strives to make broken people whole by showing individuals that there is hope through the name of Jesus Christ. The ministry serves a diverse group of Philadelphia 's populations including, the homeless, HIV/AIDS patients, residents of nursing homes as well as incarcerated men, women and youth.

The impact of Tenth Presbyterian's ministry outreach has been bolstered by the tenures of dynamic leaders throughout the church's history. Henry Augustus Boardman, Pastor from 1833-1876, guided the congregation through most of the nineteenth century and was the first of several long-tenured leaders at the church.

Perhaps the most notable of these leaders was the late James Montgomery Boice. Boice, Pastor at Tenth Presbyterian from 1968-2000, was a renowned and well respected speaker whose sermons were often broadcasted on WFIL-AM, the Christian radio station based in Philadelphia. Today, the congregation is under the guidance of Pastor Liam Goligher and has been a member of the Presbyterian Church of America (PCA) since 1982.

The impressive Center City West church structure, complete with a Byzantine influenced interior designed by Architect Frank Miles Day, holds weekly services on Sundays at 9:00 am, 11:00 am and 6:30 pm.